Thread: Finally Shot Again

Finally Shot Again

Today is the 7 month anniversary of breaking both of my wrists. I have not fired a weapon in that time, wanting to make sure the wrists were sufficiently healed to handle the recoil without further injury. The hands, especially the right hand still hurt from the injury. It is not uncommon to take 2 Ibuprofen a couple of times a day and at bedtime.

I started with the Glock 44 .22LR. The damn thing doesn't want to hit the primer hard enough to ignite the round. Out of 6 rounds, only 1 fired. That has never been a problem in the past and I am using the same ammo as before. I disassembled and cleaned the easy parts and dabbed a drop of oil on the firing pin. I know, this is not what I need to do, but I was in a hurry and will do a complete disassembly later this evening. After that, it fires about 75% of the time. Not good enough! 100% is what I want.

That went okay except for the mechanical problem so I decided to try the Hellcat 9mm which has a bit more recoil. I fired a total of 10 rounds and my hand is not happy. The wrist is okay, but the hand always hurts anyway and this just aggravated the pain. I think I may start firing a few rounds everyday in hopes of the hand getting better. I have to qualify at my department before the end of the year and I sure hope I can do it without a lot of pain. That's 50 rounds as opposed to the 10 I fired today. That looks to be painful unless my right hand gets better fast!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

At least you have the Glocktress nearby if you need protection...I already know she can shoot......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    At least you have the Glocktress nearby if you need protection...I already know she can shoot......Ben
    She shots better than me.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Slow and steady you'll get it back. I'm happy you went out and tried.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    She shots better than me.
    I always try to stay on her good side...I just don't get that chance often enough......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Mike try wrapping the wrist with athletic tape to add extra support before you shoot
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Thanks, but the wrists are not the problem. It's the hands that still do not work right and there is a lot of pain in them and the fingers. Apparently the tendons and nerves took some serious damage.

The good news is I woke up this morning without any residual pain in the hands from shooting yesterday.

I'm glad that you are making progress---I have been wondering how you were doing but reluctant to ask.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Woo Hoo!!!!!

I had a new aerobic septic system installed today and I had the contractor pile all of the left-over dirt into a backstop for my shooting. No more makeshift backstop! I thought I had a really good backstop using a hill on the property. It turned out there was a lot of iron ore in the hill causing ricochets. There is no iron ore in this dirt! I will have a couple of truckloads of good dirt hauled in to add to the backstop.

You know, I'd never thought about the possibility of ricochets from ore deposits. Yet it makes sense. Shooters out in our Western Desert regularly start brush fires while shooting. Apparently, it took me this long to find out why.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Shooters out in our Western Desert regularly start brush fires while shooting.

Hunter
    Especially those trying out their newly bought AR-15's with milsurp steel-core penetrators...You're not thinking, people......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...steel-core penetrators...You're not thinking, people.
    Yes. I've seen in the paper the BLM is advising shooters to move away from iron/steel bullets. Again, Science wins.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead