Thread: Colin Powell, First Black U.S. Secretary of State, Has Died From COVID

Colin Powell, First Black U.S. Secretary of State, Has Died From COVID

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

R.I.P. General......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    RIP and thanks for your service..

Always hoped he would run for President, but not to be.

RIP.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I always thought he was a good man. Doubtless his other health conditions contributed mightily in allowing covid to ultimately cause his death. Very sad.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

More to the cause:

The cause was complications of Covid-19, his family said in a statement, adding that he had been vaccinated and was treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, in Bethesda, Md., where he died. Mr. Powell had undergone treatment for multiple myeloma, which compromised his immune system, a spokeswoman said. She said he was due to receive a booster shot for his vaccine last week but could not because he had fallen ill.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

He worked hard and earned his rank, reaching top military positions during a difficult time in our history. Rest well, soldier.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

And as might be expected---trump weighed in with his own disgusting eulogy.

There is not a thread of decency in the man.

I always respected the General and his accomplishments. I would have voted for him in any capacity he might have chosen.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I would have voted for him as well---even with his moment of failure.

I watched his UN presentation regarding Iraq and WOMD and as I did I was convinced that he did not believe what he was saying---he was being the good soldier. Strangely, I felt bad for him rather than angry.

I don't see it as a moment of failure on his part. He was given intel collected by many others, probably most of which he had no control over. The intel was compiled and interpreted by others who again, he probably had no control over. He accepted the combined consensus from many trusted agencies and advisers and went with it. He certainly could not have conducted the investigation himself. He acted on what was considered to be the best information available, I'm sure at the insistence of the President. If it was any failure on the General's part it was not being able to read a crystal ball that might have disputed the expert advice.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Always though him and Condi would have made a great team. I would have registered and voted in that election if it happened.

I could be wrong, but what I "saw" were his own doubts regarding what he was saying---just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Always though him and Condi would have made a great team. I would have registered and voted in that election if it happened.
    Non
    Now that is a statement

Ms Rice is a very bright lady, but I think she tied up to Cheney and Rumsfeld and threw the General under the bus for her own benefit.

I think they saw in her someone they could more easily manipulate to their benefit.