Thread: Broadway’s ‘worst idea in history’

Broadway’s ‘worst idea in history’

Fifty years ago, the rock opera “Jesus Christ Superstar” — with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice — opened on Broadway. Outside the sold-out shows, protesters called the musical blasphemous.

The production was a risk. It tells the story of the last seven days of Jesus’ life through the eyes of one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot. As Lloyd Webber recently told the British newspaper The Telegraph, producers considered it “the worst idea in history” and didn’t want to put it onstage.

Some initial reactions echoed those fears. The Times critic Clive Barnes panned the production: “It all rather resembled one’s first sight of the Empire State Building. Not at all uninteresting, but somewhat unsurprising and of minimal artistic value.”

Ultimately, the show won over audiences. A spectacle that married rock and musical theater, the musical paved the way for shows like “Les Misérables” and “The Phantom of the Opera,” Sarah Bahr writes in The Times. — Claire Moses, a Morning writer
    My family and me were temporarily living in Westfield NJ, very near to NYC, while I worked on a project in nearby Linden NJ. We went to see our first Broadway play. It was an "experience"

I think my wife and me were among the very few in the theater not smoking pot-----during the show, but despite that we enjoyed immensely the play and the music

It served to make life long Broadway patrons of both my wife and me.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

JCS came out when I was in High School. I adored it - and worked for weeks to ensure I could document and play the music that accompanied it.

The play came to SLC, up at the Pioneer Theater, in 2015. Wifey and I attended and were excited to see Ted Neeley perform before he left the production company. I remember being impressed he could still hit the high notes, as when he was young. And, the part of Judas was played by the singer of the band Living Color - Corey Glover.

The production and acting/singing were incredible. At the end, when Jesus dies, we wept.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

You might see when it is playing? Never been to Broadway but I enjoyed the music.
    Tommy
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson