Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw this shot today

I thought it was funny!

In a previous life I drove a freight truck and picked up license plates from the Texas Department of Corrections Walls Unit in Huntsville for shipment across the state. It was an interesting stop. I'm not sure, but I don't think they are made there anymore.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    From a friend in Maine:
    I love Maine but it's way to cold for me. I think I got used to the cold when I lived in Colorado 50 years ago but I never could get used to Wisconsin when I lived there 20 years ago or Michigan now when I go to see my daughter.
    This is your mind on drugs!

We have been having our first nor'easter of the fall this week---and it has lasted now four days. These days are not all bad--there is something very comforting about seeing the deer out in the field "softened" by the fog and rain. It makes me want to build a fire, and the heaviness of the air holds the smell of the burning wood down close to the ground.

Below is another from my friend in Maine, who is sharing the same nor'easter and sees the same strange comfort in this scene---it is a calming eliquor for the soul.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	38346

My friends partner is a Lobsterman and shares a similar feeling as me when enveloped by the fog and rain of a nor'easter. It gives me a feeling of "loneness"---like I am the only one there---and as vision becomes compressed hearing is amplified. The comfort offered by crawling up into the lap of a giant old Hemlock tree is like crawling up on your Mother's lap. To be sure, nor'easters can also have periods of high winds and beating rains (or snow) coming down in sheets that move horizontally---then they offer less comforting feelings
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-31-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, I've seen reports lately showing less fog accruing in San Francisco. It's supposedly caused by Climate Change, but all I remember is how awful it was to drive in at night. The trick to getting through it was simply following the car in front of you, and hoping he or she knew where they were going.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Most of our roads now have a yellow "fog line" on the right hand edge of the road--and that helps. On the smallest of roads they do not have those same visual aids

Driving in the fog at night sucks when you are the first guy with someone following your tail lights---the additional glare can be awful
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Driving in the fog at night sucks when you are the first guy with someone following your tail lights---the additional glare can be awful
    When I'm the lead vehicle in low visibility situations I know how difficult it can be for those following me to maintain a safe distance...Therefore to help anyone following me in a Kia, Prius, Expedition or any of the other lesser endowed vehicles from becoming impaled on my flatbed I installed a number of red lights to help mark my position for them...And in case someone is color blind and unable to distinguish red in their vision, the four white lights at the top of the headache rack can be switched on to illuminate the rear half of my truck and anything 75 or so yards behind it...This allows those vision impaired drivers to maintain a safe distance behind me...

No need to thank me, it's just another public service I provide......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I marvel at the rust free beauty of your flatbed.. camped one year with Houston friends and he saw how rusty the steel spare under the 2000 F350 was.. the next year he brought me a rust free Texas wheel..

I have the same 16in strip LED lights on the rear of the camper toolbox.. lost two LED in the left one.. new replacement is 1/2 in shorter and half the thickness but just as bright..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I marvel at the rust free beauty of your flatbed.
    Rust?...What is this thing you speak of?...I've heard of such a creature but it lives south of here in Galveston......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...