Thread: Got hit by a Semi today

Got hit by a Semi today

I was on hwy 84 in Livermore at 0545 tons of semis around. I was the 5th or 6th vehicle stopped at a red light. I hear skidding behind me then this huge bang and violent impact. Thankfully I was belted in and my head was only about an inch off the headrest. My body has never taken that hard an impact before. I was in a Ford Transit 150 van.

I'm not sure how far forward I was shoved but it was at least 5 feet maybe 10. I was glad that I left a large gap to the semi in front of me. Every loose item in the cab went flying. It took me 10-15 seconds to reorient my brain to what had happened.

I checked my mirror. no one to my right so I pulled over to the curb. The SOB that hit me took off He was in the middle of a pack of trucks and in the dark and slightly concussed I had no idea who did it.

I got PD to come out for a report and they were going to check the cameras at the intersection to see if they could get a plate.

Passenger rear door of the van is toast. I got lucky, slightly sore neck and shoulders which a few ibuprofen took care of. My head cleared up in about an hour

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211011_060549365.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	38294
    Last edited by TriGuy; 10-12-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Damn man I sure am glad you're okay
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Damn man I sure am glad you're okay
    Yes, no matter how bad it is, it could always be worse...The last time that happened to me, it was the following day before I knew how sore I was......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

ouch!! hope you are ok. i'm like ben, always hurts more on day 2.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Glad you're okay. I hate being surprised like that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I was definitely gun shy behind the wheel today. It felt like everyone was out to hit me. right Achilles was tender and my neck and shoulders tweaked every so often but all in all I think I am ok. So damn lucky it wasn't worse. As my CEO put it: I don't care about the van, I'm just glad you are ok.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Man, you are one luky dude, TG.

If your vehicle were an inch or two, either way, we'd be missing you.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Man, you are one luky dude, TG.

If your vehicle were an inch or two, either way, we'd be missing you.

Hunter
    I was damn glad I stopped some 15 feet short of the semi in front of me so I didn't get shoved into the back of the trailer and get the old accordion fold going

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    glad that you are ok..

Yes - that is the best part of it - everyone walked away.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The west is much different in fall colors than the north east. The west is primarily two tone---the green of the pines/firs and the gold of the aspens. It is stunning in its contrast, aided by the fact that it all happens at once. In the north east our forests have more diversity and thus colors, but not all happen at the same time and some will have dropped their leaves while others have not yet changed. When we have an early killing frost the time is compressed and the colors are more vivid.

Thus far, mother nature has failed to tip her hand this year.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The west is much different in fall colors than the north east. The west is primarily two tone---the green of the pines/firs and the gold of the aspens. It is stunning in its contrast, aided by the fact that it all happens at once. In the north east our forests have more diversity and thus colors, but not all happen at the same time and some will have dropped their leaves while others have not yet changed. When we have an early killing frost the time is compressed and the colors are more vivid.

Thus far, mother nature has failed to tip her hand this year.
    It's just a guess but I think you have the wrong post.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I have always done that, sometimes if you hear it soon enough you can swing out of line. Glad your OK and glad I'm not out there anymore.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    It's just a guess but I think you have the wrong post.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis