Thread: More Unbelievable "Cultural Appropriation" BS

More Unbelievable "Cultural Appropriation" BS

I just can't get over the "cultural apprioriation" BS going on. Here is the latest example:

Minnetonka is apologizing for profiting off of Native American culture without acknowledging its role in the 75-year-old Minnesota company's line of moccasins and other footwear products.

"We recognize that our original products, some of which are still sold today, have been appropriated from Native American culture," David Miller, Minnetonka's CEO, said Monday in a statement. "Minnetonka deeply and meaningfully apologizes for having benefited from selling Native-inspired designs without directly honoring native culture or communities."
    SOURCE

Really? You are apologizing for manufacturing moccasins? Be damned if I will ever buy anything from someone so stupid! I suggest a boycott of Minnetonka!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I can't top that but I can add to it. There's a town called Moundville close to the University of Alabama. It's called Moundville because the Indians that once inhabited the area built mounds and buried their dead. Many years ago with permission archaeologists from the University of Alabama were able to recover a number of very important historical objects. I know that was at least 50 to 60 years ago. It seems today members of the Indian tribe are now demanding return of all of the objects which have been tastefully and carefully taken care of in a museum on the campus. So it goes.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I wear moccasins for house shoes...They're made by some starving kid in China...I don't know his name, ask Jeff Bezos, he gets the money for them...Whatever tribe the upset Indians are should apologize to the starving kid in China because the Indians originally came from the Chinese people who crossbred with the Siberian Yukaghir inhabitants, and then crossed the land bridge that existed across the Bering Sea a few eons ago...The Indians at least owe the kid a cut from the judgement they'll eventually receive in court......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I think man, and mankind, learns and appropriates from other humans on a regular basis. We've even formalized the process through copyrights and patents. You look at many modern marvels and we can trace their development from invention to becoming a necessity. It simply is what it is. And, we expect it to occur.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I wear moccasins for house shoes...They're made by some starving kid in China...I don't know his name, ask Jeff Bezos, he gets the money for them...Whatever tribe the upset Indians are should apologize to the starving kid in China because the Indians originally came from the Chinese people who crossbred with the Siberian Yukaghir inhabitants, and then crossed the land bridge that existed across the Bering Sea a few eons ago...The Indians at least owe the kid a cut from the judgement they'll eventually receive in court......Ben
    New information.

Native Americans
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Interestingly, at least to me, this is the first I have ever heard of Native Americans having originated in Japan. I was always of the belief that they came from continental Asia.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

"The most likely source of the Native American population appears to be Siberia."
    - Science Daily

Interesting - and if corroborated, impactful on our history.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    "The most likely source of the Native American population appears to be Siberia."
    - Science Daily

Interesting - and if corroborated, impactful on our history.

Hunter
    That has been the theory as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That has been the theory as long as I can remember.
    I'm mindful of one of my favorite Louis L'Amour books, (who am I kidding - they're all my favorites) "Last of the Breed" in which a modern time American USAF pilot of Indian descent finds himself shot down over Soviet territory, and imprisoned in Siberia...The references to Siberians walking to the American continent to found their own race are numerous...It's one of the best of L'Amour's books with appeal to readers of all interests, and I believe it may have been the last he published in his lifetime......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Don’t get it..

So.. should Taco Bell need to apologize to Mexicans?

Franco American and Chef Boy Ardee need to apologize to Italians….

Note: Grandma was born in Italy.. I never had Franco American to Chef Boy Ardee, wasn’t allowed in my moms house.. fast forward to adulthood.. after tasting canned spaghetti, my mom was right.. maybe an apology is in order..

Note 2: Worked many meetings and seminars at National Museum of the American Indian.. our native population doesn’t need apologies for making their style shoes.. they need the government to honor the treaties.. they need healthcare on the reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'm mindful of one of my favorite Louis L'Amour books, (who am I kidding - they're all my favorites) "Last of the Breed" in which a modern time American USAF pilot of Indian descent finds himself shot down over Soviet territory, and imprisoned in Siberia...The references to Siberians walking to the American continent to found their own race are numerous...It's one of the best of L'Amour's books with appeal to readers of all interests, and I believe it may have been the last he published in his lifetime......Ben
    I loved the way L"Amour kept a lot of his stories based if you will on real facts as much as he could anyway. The pictures he wrote about of the west ect... are still visual in my mind to this day,
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Don’t get it..

So.. should Taco Bell need to apologize to Mexicans?

Franco American and Chef Boy Ardee need to apologize to Italians….

not just those groups but to anyone that has had to consume what they pass off as edible food
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    not just those groups but to anyone that has had to consume what they pass off as edible food
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Maybe two apologies each are in order.. one for doing it and another for giving Mexico and Italy a bad name by doing such a poor job of it..

I went into a state of deep depression when I learned that my first granddaughter wanted SpaghettiOs for lunch
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis