Thread: Extremely Interesting

Extremely Interesting

Today, the Washington Post broke the story that the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) obtained more than 11.9 million financial records including emails, spreadsheets, contracts, and so on, that reveal a vast international network of financial schemes to hide money from taxation, investigators, creditors, and citizens. The trove is named the Pandora Papers, after the Greek myth of Pandora, who opened a container and released a host of evils upon the world.
    I am currently reading about this on the ICIJ website---I invite all to do the same. I have never heard of this group before and am excited that:
    1. they exist at all
    2. they exist in the public domain

Anyone want to guess how many ICIJ members might be present at Fox, CNN, MSNBC or any of the other useless newtainment outlets?

Their members can provide an invaluable resource for those seeking real insight and information on what is going on in the world today----they now are my newest bookmark.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read about that this morning. While it is very interesting and will potentially lead to criminal charges against some "big money" people, it appears to me, without any proof, that this "leak" was the result of illegal hacking which taints the ICIJ for publishing the ill-gotten data. They may even be criminally liable if they are found to be part of a conspiracy to hack the 14 service providers which are scattered across 9 jurisdictions.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I can't comment on the legality of their methods but I do hope this was not illegally obtained information. What does encourage me, is that we still do have some actual investigative journalist---something the county's primary newtainment sources are devoid of.

For now---I am a champion of these folks
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Many will quickly lose interest in this project as soon as they find out Trump is not involved. If Trump's involved it'll be the biggest story of the world.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Pandora, indeed. It'll be interesting to see exactly whom this information impacts. Odds are, those with real power will successfully maneuver through it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

So far it's just been a one-day story........
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    ...a one-day story...
    Sure seems to be. Perhaps I hang out on the wrong sites, but I'm just not hearing/seeing much of this issue at all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Just a few--including the President of Chile:

https://www.icij.org/investigations/...s-revelations/

https://www.icij.org/investigations/...andora-papers/

Maybe the sensation level doesn't bring these events to the TV newtainment outlets. Then again, this kind of journalism doesn't reflect well on the foxes of the world.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...&bih=937&dpr=1

Second Time

This is their second time.

The Panama Papers
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

"Beyond individual countries, the Panama Papers has become a global touchstone of the debate around corruption, financial crime and inequality. It is cited in parliaments and courthouses and movie studios."
    - ICIJ Investigation

I typically consider myself connected to the news. But, the above quoted investigative results demonstrate I am not. This is an ongoing occurrence that's been occurring for at least 5 years, and will impact us for many more years.

Hunter