Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a marathon week

This is a marathon week

We are on vacation with another couple on the Eastern Shore of MD. Deal Island to be specific.

My Grandfather was a waterman on Tilghman Island about 60 miles north of here and 30 as the fish swim. This is very quiet with few outsiders. We have a house right on the water and can hear the waves day and night.

Yesterday was the opening of oyster season and today I got 3 doz fresh oysters at $5.00/doz Tonight we didn't feel like a lot to eat so we had shrimp. Tomorrow we will get into the oysters, some on the half shell and some grilled in the shell with garlic butter and lemon One in our party doesn't eat oysters or I would have gotten more. I'm planning on going back on Monday and get more

I also got a dozen jumbo soft shell crabs and two whales. They just might share the spot light tomorrow with the grilled oysters
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    One in our party doesn't eat oysters
    Whoever that is can join me at the cheeseburger table......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Whoever that is can join me at the cheeseburger table......Ben
    I'd be all too happy to serve you both excellent cheese burgers---while I slurp my oysters. I easily could eat all three doz on the half shell alone---and before the week is out I just may do exactly that.

At a price of $0.416 each compared to the normal price I pay of $2.00 to $2.50 ea in a restaurant I'm like a 16 year old in a whore house with his daddy's credit card
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Reminds me of how much I still miss living by the ocean.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I was growing increasingly concerned for the wellbeing of my oysters---which I planned on having for dinner tonight. So, as a wellness check , I just did a random sample of one. I am most happy to report that one was very well----but just to insure continued best quality I may opt to do hourly random sampling between now and dinner.

I shucked one dozen that we (3) shared as an appetizer along with Yuengling Lager---now I have two more dozen to shuck and do on the grill with butter and garlic---along with a second beer---life is very good

Well---no second beer but this way of preparing oysters was both a first for me and now will be my "go to" recipe---if you can call it that.

For those of you who do not either enjoy or trust eating raw oysters this is the easiest and finest alternative I have ever met.

To the shucked oysters I added a dab of garlic butter, about the size of a pencil eraser. As always, when you shuck the oysters, retain as much of the liquor as possible. Get a good hot fire going in your grill. I did these on a Weber kettle grill and had a hot fire all over the grate.

Place the oysters on the grill---as quickly as possible---this goes fast! Once the liquor begins to bubble, the butter melts and the edges of the oyster begin to curl---take them off---they are done. That is a matter of minutes. I did two dozen and they were getting done as I was putting the last ones on.

We (two couples) had one who has never eaten oysters. He was unmoved to try them raw but relented a bit to try "just one" of the grilled variety----not a smart move on my part to talk him into it. He gobbled up his entire share

Another first for me----I had two oysters that I simply could not open---I have been, on rare occasion, driven to use a hammer---but tonight I used the microwave Fantastic, less than 30 seconds and pop

There will be more oysters this week

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    To the shucked oysters I added a dab of garlic butter, about the size of a pencil eraser.
    Very appropriate since an oyster looks like an eraser, and I'm told taste like erasers too......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I didn't expect you to fall pray to such disinformation Ben.

I can assure you one of these would make you a convert.

Soft shell crabs and steamed clams tonight with fresh tomatoes and squash.

Oh, what will tomorrow night bring

Tonight was a little recreational steamed crab picking, then we had a second introductory course of "U" peel em steamed shrimp followed by baked squash, fresh tomatoes, a broiled crab cake and day boat dry scallops in brown butter with capers-----and they were as perfect as it gets. Each was about the size of silver dollar and 1" thick. No need for a fork and they melted in your mouth---so simple so delicious

How do East coast Oysters compare with Gulf coast Oysters? I made the mistake of buying some California Oysters once because they were on sale. I found them to be almost inedible due to the texture and sweetness.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How do East coast Oysters compare with Gulf coast Oysters? I made the mistake of buying some California Oysters once because they were on sale. I found them to be almost inedible due to the texture and sweetness.
    I can't answer that because I don't have a lot of experience with Gulf oysters.

I can say, with a bit of expertise, that oysters are a product of their environment. We do not have an "east coast" oyster, we don't even have a Chesapeake Bay oyster (although some would argue that). As an example, what we have, just in the local area, are Deal Island oysters and Choptank River oysters. The are the same variety but have a distinctly different taste---much of which is caused by the salinity of their environment.

The further south you go in the bay the higher the salinity. In the case of the Choptank River, the salinity is even less because of the inflow of fresh water. The differences are very noticeable in raw oysters but are often muted in cooked versions.

As to east coast oysters, generally speaking (and I hope my Grandfather isn't reading this) I prefer the flavor of northern oysters----Maine and the Canadian maritime provinces. But--make no mistake, oysters are all high on my list. As to west coast, I find the northern west coast as very favorable. I'm not sure I have ever tried CA oysters.

Added in edit:
    Now with a little more time, I will add, that there are visual differences in oysters. The differences are in average size and the shape of the shell. One side of an oyster is flat, the other is "cupped" and the depth of the cup varies with location (variety). I prefer a deep cup---especially if I am dong the shucking. It is easier to retain more of the liquor (adds to the flavor) with a deep cup and the oysters are generally more "plump" in a deep cupped variety,
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-08-2021 at 10:35 AM.

I used to buy them by the sack straight off the boats. I then shucked them and froze them in pint containers with the liquor from the shells. My hands hurt big time after shucking a full sack!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I used to buy them by the sack straight off the boats. I then shucked them and froze them in pint containers with the liquor from the shells. My hands hurt big time after shucking a full sack!
    I know the feeling!

Oysters are cheap here now----and crabs are way expensive. I got oysters last Saturday, the day after the season opened for $5.00 a doz now they are about $30/bushel which is about 100 count, at the dock. I don't mind shucking my own----but shucking for a party can get old fast

I bought 6 medium hard shell crabs yesterday for $14, whales were twice that. I have to admit that I'd rather shuck oysters than pick hard shell crabs.

When I was a kid I would go to the cannery with my grandfather to unload his catch. There were long rows of women sitting at SS tables, almost always singing and picking crab---being paid by the pound I read this week that the best picker at Tilghman packing, were we went, picked 106 pounds in one day----I simply cannot imagine that