Thread: The annual process begins

The annual process begins

It's that time of year---the tobacco has been cut and hung in the drying barns and that signals hot pepper season

This mix includes mostly habaneros of all shades and sizes with a few scotch bonnets mixed in. They will stay in the dehydrator at least until I get home this week. I'll make another run in a few weeks to assure a continuing supply
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-08-29 08.34.38 rev 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	38214  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Not done yet. I rotated the tray positions and by tomorrow they should be dry.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I remember one of the first times I sliced up peppers a Mexican buddy gave me. I was probably 10 seconds into it and inadvertently touched my face. There were many tears spread that day - all by me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I used to get myself on a regular basis---usually by rubbing my eyes. Now I mostly avoid such folly.

I am reminded of a time when a very good friend and I were making tomatoes sauces from the combined bounty of our gardens. We were doing this at her house and her three young sons joined in the process, mostly opening hot Hungarian peppers and removing the seeds. The peppers are not that hot (they can be up to 15,000 SU, about twice the heat of a Jalapenos which top out at about 7,000) but they have a lot of oil which is unusually hot. I forgot that fact until the boys all began complaining about the back of their hands being on fire

We repurposed them to another task but the burning persisted even after washing with soap and water. That night one of the boys feel asleep with his hands immersed in a bowl of ice water

Many years latter their Mom and I still occasionally recall that event---as do the boys---now all men

I almost forgot---I will bag the dried peppers this afternoon