Thread: Junction Box

Junction Box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1633119023463.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	38275
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

That looks fishy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Probably be just fine if it had a cover. Won't meet code but who cares?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

meh.... i've seen worse. this was in my basement when i moved here....
    kindly note the lack of a breaker box
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0049c.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	507.7 KB 
ID:	38276  

it's time to change the air in my head

Holy crap! I think that's the worst I've ever seen. Hell, I know it's the worst I've ever seen!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I know it's the worst I've ever seen!
    As well as ugly. Don't look safe at all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    As well as ugly. Don't look safe at all.

Hunter
    It's worse than that by far. There are no fuses or circuit breakers. Luckily the place did not burn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It's worse than that by far. There are no fuses or circuit breakers. Luckily the place did not burn down.
    Can you imagine trying to untangle that mess and getting it put into a breaker box, 2 breaker boxes, well one breaker box and a huge junction box, in order to get it far enough off the floor to meet code, not a job I'd want!
    This is your mind on drugs!

it took me 3 days to get it straightened out. someone literally soldered leads to the entrance cables in the main panel box and ran stranded wire in the conduit. must have used a hundred wire nuts. the main box is on my front porch with 100 amp breaker. i had to pull the stranded wires and used the conduit to pull 9 new 12/2 feed lines on breakers, and then figure out what wires went where. i now have 9 labeled junction box's where that box was.

it was january when i moved in and there was 2' or so of snow on the basement bilco door and there was no inside entrance to the basement, so i couldn't get in the basement. the house had been unoccupied for almost 2 years.

i cleared a path to the basement in the first week and cleared off the doors so i could get my woodstove in the basement. i was greeted to the sight of a dirt floor and dead snakes, yuck! cleaned it out, put my stove on some 4" cap blocks, tied into the chimney and lit a fire. i poured a slab in the next few days. then cut a hole in my kitchen floor so i could put in steps. fixed the wiring after that. the first month here, i don't think i slept. worth it in the long run.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Obviously, the "producer" of that astounding mess failed to expose that to the right people to assure a nomination for a Darwin award.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think you gentlemen found the people that wired my 1920 house. I was glad after I purchased it that they had upgraded the service panel to 200 amp service but there's still cloth wrapped romax in the house, several open junction boxes with no covers and wires hanging. Cheap extension cords running to lights in the basement. I've not done anything with it this year because I go down the steps just a few times when home.

I rewired the garages two years ago and finally hired an electrician to change over the service to the garages last spring when I got home. They had ran romax through PVC water pipes in them. The fuse box on the side of the house could do two 30 amp circuits but they where only using one and it went to the 100 year old garage, to an old glass fuse box and had one 20 amp circuit feeding both garages. They are now wired from a new fuse box on the side of the house with two 30 amp fused feed into a small 4 breaker box in the first garage, that is properly grounded.

There are three circuits in the metal garage and one into the old wooden garage for the pontoon. Each is 15 amps, one for the LED shop lights and two to the plugs. I used duplex boxes and each plug is on a separate breaker. So each duplex box has 30 amps available. The last 15 amp circuit is for the pontoon house. The biggest draw is the 20 gal air compressor, the LED lights and plugs for the trickle charger for the pontoon boat.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson