Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those interested...

For those interested...

YouTube now has full length episodes of Dragnet with no commercials...Both the original B&W series from the 50's and the later color version with Harry Morgan as Friday's partner......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I don't know if they are still there, but I watched the entire series on Netflix a few years ago. Just the facts, Ben!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

To me they were all black and white. For us, having a TV was naughty enough, color would likely have condemned us to hell.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    To me they were all black and white. For us, having a TV was naughty enough, color would likely have condemned us to hell.
    We never had color TV until I was in high school. After leaving home I couldn't afford color and had black and white for several years. I do remember the first color set I ever saw anywhere. It was amazing!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We never had color TV until I was in high school.
    Same here.

My maternal grandparents had the first color TV I saw. For me, the coolest feature was you could change the channel and sound with a remote. Then, we moved to Salt Lake City, which only had 3 TV stations at the time (2, 4 and 5).

My parents kept the old B & W TV for decades 'cause it was a cabinet TV with a stereo and turntable built-in. That sucker was big, the size of a couch. As a teen, I learned how to change out the tubes on it. That was back when you could test tubes and buy them at Walgreen's.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

We bought a plastic thingy you put on the screen and it simulated colors somehow . Not very good colors mind you but , it did look marginally better than the straight B & W .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't know if they are still there, but I watched the entire series on Netflix a few years ago. Just the facts, Ben!
    Here's another fact for you...Poor retired gun dealers can't afford luxuries like Netflix the way wealthy retired cops can...YouTube came with my internet connection......

When I got back from my first overseas deployment, my folks had bought a brand new color console TV...Mom was still watching it when we surprised her with a new one for her birthday one year in the 2000's......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

wait, wait....hang on...are you telling me there are color tv's now ?!?
    will wonder never cease

i liked watching dragnet as a kid, but preferred andy griffith. he was my kinda cop! still watch it alot now, have all of it on dvd's even the color ones
    it's time to change the air in my head

We did not get color TV until the 1984 Olympics. We moved into the house where we live now in 1983. All the kids around would come to our house to see the B&W TV---which they had never seen before

Our kids still weren't impressed by their cheap ass Dad
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    .....Our kids still weren't impressed by their cheap ass Dad
    Probably shouldn't have cheaped out on the 12" screen.......

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    We bought a plastic thingy you put on the screen and it simulated colors somehow...
    Ahhh... I remember those.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

My parents had some friends that they bowled with that got a color TV when they came out. channels 4, 7, and 10. Plus they has a pool. It was a day to remember when we went to Walt and Cleos house!
    This is your mind on drugs!

We had a fancy TV when I was growing up, my dad was a a Teamster, making union wages. It was a Philco B&W cabinet with a turntable in the bottom drawer. I think we had that TV into the late 60's. I was the one that would take out the tubes and go the Katz's Drug Store to test them. We would go to my grandmothers house on Sunday for dinner and to watch her color TV. Lawrence Welk and Ponderosa were the two in color at the time. Later when we finally got a color console with the turntable but no 8 track player. We would choose the show if it was in color.

When I moved to Colorado I took a used color TV with me. I worked for a year or so and then died. I could not afford a new one so I borrowed my older sisters J C Penny's card and purchased a brand new B&W TV because it was the cheapest one. It was years before I purchased a new color one but the B&W lived in the bedroom until I sold it in 1996 to a kid for his video games. His dad explained what B&W TV was.

That's my TV stories. Now in the fifth wheel I have a 50' in the living room, a 39" in the bedroom and a 19" in the side storage compartment that I can watch outside and the Dish Playmaker in the storage compartment.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In the early 50s we lived in Norfolk Virginia.. had two stations.. then moved to Camp Lejeune NC, there was no TV station so in 1st grade we had a tv but no station.. in 2nd grade channel 7 in Washington NC came on the air.. then (also 2nd grade) we moved to Quantico and had 4 channels, NBC, ABC, CBS and DuMont.. by then the original TV had broken so we had a 12 inch portable, the exact TV is now on display in the Smithsonian.. then back to Norfolk, the third station came on the air in 6th grade,

Visiting Grandparents, at NJ end of George Washington Bridge was a treat.. six stations.. didn’t go off at midnight and cartoons on Sunday morning (all church in the south)..

I got my first color tv in early 80s .. big RCA floor model.. x2005 we replaced it with a 50 inch flat screen, the old RCA was piled with cable boxes, VHS and DVD players and working great but I was kidded mercilessly my family and friends for being a cheapskate.. it went on the curb wit an “I work” sign and was gone before trash day..

Oh.. my parents bought a beautiful 20 inch Sony Trinatron with remote in the 70s.. it went in my mom’s bedroom..

Wifey and I now have cable, with 300 channels. I must be jaded 'cause about once a week there's nothing on I want to see.

Hunter