Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivermectin

Ivermectin

Misinformation around ivermectin and Covid has made trouble for veterinarians and farmers who rely on the drug.

For more than a year, misinformation that ivermectin is effective at treating or preventing the coronavirus has run rampant across social media, podcasts and talk radio. Even as the Food and Drug Administration has said the drug is not approved to cure Covid and has warned people against taking it, media personalities who have cast doubt on coronavirus vaccines, such as the podcaster Joe Rogan, have promoted ivermectin for that very purpose.

The inaccuracies have led to some people overdosing on certain formulations of the drug, which has then stretched doctors and hospitals. But at the very tail end of the misinformation trail are people, like Dr. Emerson, who regularly use the medicine for the animal treatments that it was approved for.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Products Containing Ivermectin to Prevent or Treat COVID-19

Inbox

Alameda County Public Health Department <noreply@everbridge.net>
    Thu, Aug 26, 12:55 PM

to me

This is a message from the Alameda County Public Health Department

The California Department of Public Health has issued an alert (adapted below) about the rapid increase in ivermectin prescriptions and reports of severe illness associated with use of products containing ivermectin to prevent or treat COVID-19.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed with the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) that human exposures and adverse effects associated with ivermectin reported to poison control centers have increased in 2021 compared to the pre-pandemic baseline. Ivermectin is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved prescription medication used to treat certain infections caused by internal and external parasites. When used as prescribed for approved indications, it is generally safe and well tolerated.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, ivermectin dispensing by retail pharmacies has increased, as has use of veterinary formulations available over the counter but not intended for human use. FDA has cautioned about the potential risks of use for prevention or treatment of COVID-19.

Ivermectin is not authorized or approved by FDA for prevention or treatment of COVID-19. The National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel has also determined that there are currently insufficient data to recommend ivermectin for treatment of COVID-19. ClinicalTrials.govhas listings of ongoing clinical trials that might provide more information about these hypothesized uses in the future.

Actions recommended for clinicians:

• Educate patients about the risks of using ivermectin without a prescription, or ingesting ivermectin formulations that are meant for external use or ivermectin-containing products formulated for veterinary use.
    • Advise patients to immediately seek medical treatment if they have taken any ivermectin or ivermectin-containing products and are experiencing symptoms. Signs and symptoms of ivermectin toxicity include gastrointestinal effects (nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea), headache, blurred vision, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension, visual hallucinations, altered mental status, confusion, loss of coordination and balance, central nervous system depression, and seizures. Ivermectin may increase sedative effects of other medications such as benzodiazepines and barbiturates.
    • Call the poison control center hotline (1-800-222-1222) for medical management advice.

The entire CDC Health Advisory can be viewed at the following link: https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/pdf/CDC_HAN_449.pdf

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I'm sad to say our friend Wacojoe thinks it is good stuff for COVID.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I use it to de worm the lesbians.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I use it to de worm the lesbians.....
    After a weekend with you, they could use it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Amazing what I can read here. My response has nothing to do with what Phillbo posted.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

upon further review: more evidence of faked study data

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58170809
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I'm afraid I am at a loss to understand how people come to these beliefs

From the BBC link:

The BBC can reveal that more than a third of 26 major trials of the drug for use on Covid have serious errors or signs of potential fraud. None of the rest show convincing evidence of ivermectin's effectiveness.

Dr Kyle Sheldrick, one of the group investigating the studies, said they had not found "a single clinical trial" claiming to show that ivermectin prevented Covid deaths that did not contain "either obvious signs of fabrication or errors so critical they invalidate the study".

Major problems included:

The same patient data being used multiple times for supposedly different people
    Evidence that selection of patients for test groups was not random
    Numbers unlikely to occur naturally
    Percentages calculated incorrectly
    Local health bodies unaware of the studies
    How is it that people can vehemently claim that the approved vaccines are unsafe and ineffective despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary and then move over to these snake oil remedies that are absent of similar scientific scrutiny and embrace them with abandon.

What drives that

I think the FDA has done an outstanding job in its handling of drug safety in the USA.

The saddest part of this Ivermectin saga is there are people taking it, while not adequately ensuring their safety in other ways. Thus, some will have been injured or died because of Covid. I saw a study online last week which showed 1/3 of those who catch Covid will not regain their full physical/mental health.

Already, Coviid deaths have lowered the average life span of Americans.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I don't understand why some people are so quick to condemn others who choose to try alternative medications that are being prescribed by licensed medical doctors. Maybe Ivermectin works, maybe it doesn't. I don't know and neither does anyone else as near as I can determine.

What I do know, for a fact, are people who have taken Ivermectin and survived! This whole anti-Ivermectin campaign looks like the reefer madness campaign of the '50s and '60s. We all know the fate of that false propaganda. I think it is because Ivermectin doesn't fit into big pharma's niche of fleecing the U.S. for every penny it can take.

Does Ivermectin work for Covid-19? Hell, I don't know, but taken under medical supervision it probably doesn't hurt because it is used daily worldwide to kill parasites. If it gives patients hope, where is the harm?

As for what the FDA and California think I couldn't care less. And Dave, don't feel sad about what I think as in WacoJoes case. As an adult I am perfectly capable of formulating my own opinion without the FDA and California getting between me and my health care professionals.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Pardon my interruption, but what astounds me is that we're talking about ivermectin while our country is going to hell in a handbasket.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't understand why some people are so quick to condemn others who choose to try alternative medications that are being prescribed by licensed medical doctors. Maybe Ivermectin works, maybe it doesn't. I don't know and neither does anyone else as near as I can determine.

What I do know, for a fact, are people who have taken Ivermectin and survived! This whole anti-Ivermectin campaign looks like the reefer madness campaign of the '50s and '60s. We all know the fate of that false propaganda. I think it is because Ivermectin doesn't fit into big pharma's niche of fleecing the U.S. for every penny it can take.

Does Ivermectin work for Covid-19? Hell, I don't know, but taken under medical supervision it probably doesn't hurt because it is used daily worldwide to kill parasites. If it gives patients hope, where is the harm?

As for what the FDA and California think I couldn't care less. And Dave, don't feel sad about what I think as in WacoJoes case. As an adult I am perfectly capable of formulating my own opinion without the FDA and California getting between me and my health care professionals.
    That forced me into a deeper look at Ivermectin---and I was wrong, or at very least underinformed. It appears that Ivermectin does have some value in treatment of COVID.

Thanks for the nudge
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-08-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Pardon my interruption, but what astounds me is that we're talking about ivermectin while our country is going to hell in a handbasket.
    The country will be fine. We survived Carter, Clinton and Obama only to be screwed (to a lessor extent) by a couple of Republicans in between. We will survive Biden. I might add he is not the only one responsible for our troubles - he gets plenty of help from both sides.

Ultimately, we, the voters, are responsible because we vote the misfits in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That forced me into a deeper look at Ivermectin---and I was wrong, or at very least underinformed. [url=https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/08000/ivermectin_for_prevention_and_treatment_of.7.aspx]It appears that Ivermectin does have some value in treatment of COVID.......
    Thanks for the link, Dave. I now know a lot more about Ivermectin than before. What little I knew was mostly anecdotal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thanks for the link, Dave. I now know a lot more about Ivermectin than before. What little I knew was mostly anecdotal.
    Me as well---amazing what a little objective research can turn up