Thread: Facebook is what's wrong with America

Facebook is what's wrong with America

I can't argue -

From the climate crisis to Covid, Marc Benioff sees a common thread for what ails America today: deception that is allowed to spread like wildfire on Facebook.

[snip]

The Salesforce CEO and owner of Time Magazine warned these lies tricking social media users are making it harder to solve the biggest problems gripping society.

"Look at how it is affecting the world. You can talk about the political process. You can talk about climate. You can talk about the pandemic," Benioff said. "In each and every major topic, it gets connected back to the mistrust that is happening and especially the amount of it being seeded by the social networks. It must stop now."

[snip]

The Salesforce (CRM) CEO is ramping up his criticism of Facebook following an investigation from The Wall Street Journal that used internal documents to show the company is not only well aware of its platforms' negative effects on users -- but how it has repeatedly failed to address them.

[snip]

The tech billionaire called for Congress to crack down on Facebook's disinformation problem.
    "I own Time and I am held accountable for what is produced on my platform," Benioff said, adding that CNN and other media outlets are also held accountable. "In regards to Facebook, they are not held accountable. So they do not have an incentive from the government. That has to change."
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I find what people are willing to post on Facebook odd. My wife is a member, but strictly limits her personal exposure - particularly when it comes to photos. If I know a mutual friend, it's amazing what you can find out about them - since they don't seem to discriminate or worry about being secure.

Personally, I use Facebook as a messaging system. For, odds are, if we know someone, they're are on Facebook. And, others cannot see your personal messages - so my security interests are served.

One thing Wifey and I are serious about is not posting on Facebook about where we are. For, to do so, pretty much advertises to burglars your home is a potential target. So, we post about a trip AFTER the trip to ensure our safety.

In conclusion, I agree with you Mike. What I'm saying is, Facebook is OK if, and only if, people consider how their postings can endanger them. If too much information about their private life is posted, it can make them vulnerable to opportunistic criminals.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm on it for one purpose only, they have a site for selling personal items...I've sold several Canon lenses using it, and when this last one is gone, I'm closing my account again......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I like that approach, Ben.

The entertainers I know literally seem omnipresent on Facebook. For, it serves their need to market themselves. Interestingly, but understandably, they don't typically talk about where they were - they talk about where they will be. Thus, it gives their fans a chance to find them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

What kind of lens do you have for sale? Any shotguns?

Facebook who?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I'll PM you since I already know you have a compatible camera......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There are few things that I dislike more than Facebook. It allows people to act in inappropriate ways at the expense of the innocent.

My now gone best friend found out about one of his sister's death by someone who saw it on Facebook. It had been posted by a granddaughter before all of the family had been notified.

We ae better than that
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    We are better than that...
    Definitely.

One must consider "The Jerk" factor. Simply put: Unless a clear behavioral limit is set, jerks be jerks. And, even with set limits, jerks be jerks. The only way to avoid jerks is not to deal with people at all.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'll PM you since I already know you have a compatible camera......Ben
    Done...And now my account there no longer exists...

On the bright side, FB was apparently down for some time recently (I like to think it had to do with my disabling my account)...The Babylon Bee reports that the hackers are upping their game in their demands:
    "But if you don't comply with our demand for $700 billion dollars by 8 pm tonight, we will restore Facebook and unleash its evils upon the world once again."
    ...Ben

I'm so out of touch, I didn't know that Facebook was gone until I read it in this morning's papers

Damn shame it came back
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yep - mentioned to my wife that Facebook was down for several hours. She gave me a "ehhh..." denoting it didn't mean that much to her whether it was up or down. I like that.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'm on it for one purpose only, they have a site for selling personal items...I've sold several Canon lenses using it, and when this last one is gone, I'm closing my account again......Ben
    Having any luck? I have two Zero Halliburton cases with bodies and lenses in the basement.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Which ones you looking for?
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    Having any luck? I have two Zero Halliburton cases with bodies and lenses in the basement.
    There is supposedly a fellow on his way here now to buy my last lens...I already deleted Facebook, and when this last lens gets picked up today, it will also be the end of Craigslist for me...Both sites are filled with fakes, thieves and scammers......Ben