Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas approve open carry without a permit

Texas approve open carry without a permit

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think it's a step or two too far.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm not sure what to think of it myself.

When the state legalized concealed carry permits several years ago I thought the end was near. That turned out to be a pretty good thing after all. Vetted and trained folks didn't turn Texas into the wild west and things rocked on as usual.

Then, when Texas allowed licensed persons to open carry a few years ago I again thought that was a bad idea. But, it appears the licensees felt the same way. After a few years I have only seen two persons open carrying in the grocery store. Good on our Licensees!

Now, with the new "constitutional carry" law, I am very apprehensive. I like the vetting and training previously required much better than letting every fool run around with a gun.

On the one hand lots of folks think it is an open license for all sorts of criminals and mentally deficient folks to carry a firearm. I am also concerned about the lack of training before carrying. Training is important, damned important if someone is going to pack heat. Vetting is also very important.

There are other states that have enacted "constitutional carry" that say there has been no increase in crime. I hope that happens here.

So, whatever happens is on our rabid right wing republicans in Texas. At least they don't plan to take our guns like the rabid left wing democrats.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I also have a watchful eye out......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Az has always been an open carry state and I don't think it's caused an issue.... But then we are not Texas

San Francisco has a better idea...
    The Dream Keeper Fellowship will pay 10 individuals who are at high risk of being on either end of a shooting $300 each month to not be involved in such crimes.
    As a gun owner I am considered high risk by the rulers of California, and I have never shot anyone in San Francisco...In fact, I've never been to San Francisco, therefore at $300 a month for 74 years I have a lot of back pay coming...Who do I invoice?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am no longer surprised by anything stupid coming out of San Francisco.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The whole Bay Area out there is ensconced with political insanity . It's some of the most beautiful country in the United States that's about as far as I can go.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Unknown to most people---even to people in PA, we have been an open carry state for years. The only wrinkle: to carry a pistol in a vehicle it must be unloaded and the ammo must be in a separate container.

Stranger still, if I am carrying a concealed weapon, in accordance with my permit, and I, even inadvertently, allow my weapon to be seen I am subject to lose my permit.

Philadelphia is the exception in this open carry law, there if you open carry they shoot your ass----J/K

That said---I could count on one hand the number of times that I have seen anyone exercise this right other than on occasion at guns shows or occasional tea party meetings. If I am going to carry, it will be cancelled.

Added in edit:

.....but, then again, PA ain't TX
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The irony of these open carry laws without permit as just passed in Texas is that how do you get to the point you are carrying it in open without transporting it there. It would seem you would have to have a permit to transport it to the spot. So maybe it's much to do about nothing. My main concern is that no permit is required. Seems to me that will encourage people that do not have permits to carry pistols around in their car and then strap them on and walk around the Alamo. LOL

Utah became an open carry state a few years ago. Interestingly, concealed carry still requires a permit. I haven't seen a difference yet in behavior. My guess is those who were carriers are still carrying. I think it's habitual.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Don't confuse open carry with Constitutional carry. Constitutional carry has no background check and no training requirements. Anyone who is 21, has no domestic violence convictions and no felony convictions can strap on a gun and go out amongst us, openly or concealed. That concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don't confuse open carry with Constitutional carry. Constitutional carry has no background check and no training requirements. Anyone who is 21, has no domestic violence convictions and no felony convictions can strap on a gun and go out amongst us, openly or concealed. That concerns me.
    You mean you can carry a pistol concealed in Texas with no permit?

As of two days ago, yes.

That's beyond ridiculous. I don't get that at all.

Why do people think that a piece of paper from some bureaucrat will make anyone use or not use a weapon in a different manner than they would without that paper ?. Open or concealed is no different. I personally believe concealed is the way to go. Keep them guessing.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .