When my sons were all home we shot a lot of trap, often with friends that shot trap. We have a trap range beyond the barn. In those days I bought shells by the pallet. We would shot on a frequent basis and on one Sunday in the middle of Oct of each year we would have a grand meet---we would begin at 9 AM and shoot until dusk---complete with a spread of food and non-alcoholic drinks.

It would correspond to the end of the garden season and I would pick all my remaining peppers and turn them into a "pepper relish", on occasion pilled high on a hot dog by some unfortunate soul----to everyone else's great glee

In preparation for a "reunion" shoot this weekend, my grandson brought a case of shells up from the basement---and announced I needed to buy more shells because there was only one case left.

I think my days of buying pallets of 12 ga shells is past, as are most of my friends who used to shoot with us, I'll settle down to buying them by the case now

Today our only guest will be my SIL---but I will think often of those past shoots and past friends.