Thread: How fast things happen

How fast things happen

There was an officer-involved shooting carried on my local news and it brought home to me just how quickly things can happen in these situations.

A woman is holding a child outside on her lawn. She is arguing with a man. The police show up. The man starts yelling that he will kill her and starts waving a knife around. The woman dodges while holding her child, He slashes, she ducks, tries to get away, he trips, falls, trips her, she falls, he grabs her leg, slashes, wounds her, tries to pull her towards him on the ground, loses his grip, then grabs the child to pull towards him and at this point, the police, who have been commanding him to drop the knife, open fire. Two shots. The man dies immediately.

Total elapsed time from when the police first get out of their vehicle to shooting the man - twelve seconds.

It was an absolutely chaotic scene, police shouting commands, the woman screaming for help, the man yelling that he will kill her, people struggling, falling, blood spurting, a baby menaced. I can't imagine the adrenaline dump that must have been happening.

Intellectually, I know this is what happens at a scene but seeing it from start to finish, with what can happen in just twelve seconds, and the decisions that have to be made with all that adrenaline flooding one's body, it was shocking.

Police actions need review, that's part of the job. But that job is almost unimaginable.

Robots are the only fair solution. If we can just get that AI thing under control....
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I can speak to this issue in a very personal way. My son unfortunately had to use deadly force in line of duty against an individual. This individual had had beaten his wife senseless inside of a convenience store. There were paramedics and store employees inside attending to the wife and the husband had left. As my son was preparing the report the husband pulled back into the parking lot got out of a vehicle with a loaded shotgun and attempted to make entry into the convenience store. My son confronted him and he leveled the shotgun towards him. From the moment he got out of the car and a shot was fired at the husband was 1.6 seconds as timed on the stores security system video. My son was awarded the states Medal of Honor for saving the people's lives inside.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

1.6 seconds between assessment of the situation and ending it. Unreal.

I'll think of him while I watch Tlaib talk again about how nothing good comes from the police in our country. Yes, she said that.

Well the officer involved in this situation made a deadly mistake. I surely hope that she will not be criminally prosecuted. I do think it is grounds for termination. She was a seasoned veteran and should not have made a mistake like that.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Just heard the officer resigned. Apparently the police chief also resigned which I don't understand. I guess it's a token try to keep these folks from burning the city down.

Apparently, the mayor has not accepted the resignation of the officer. He may be looking to fire her instead.

I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

I grow increasingly uneasy that we are entering a period where the bloody instructions that have been taught return now to plague the inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    . My son was awarded the states Medal of Honor for saving the people's lives inside.
    You have an outstanding son.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead