Thread: Maryland First State to Repeal Police Bill of Rights

Maryland First State to Repeal Police Bill of Rights

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ma...?ocid=msedgntp

Let's hope it 1) gets obliterated and 2) soon.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Maybe not as draconian or encompassing, but CO and now NM I believe have removed officers immunity for actions performed in the line of duty.

I want my cops to be happy. If we can even find anyone who still wants to be one.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I read an article a few weeks ago about some fellow that made it kinda his life's work to insulate police officers from accountability. He made no bones about it. Mainly, it was through unionization and ensuring that police controlled the process when a complaint was lodged.

As a result, not only did police become difficult to discipline via independent oversight, many departments got very involved in politics. In NY, for existence, police will endorse candidates and fight publicly with officials.

The result is a changed perception of the police, to one less as Officer Friendly and more as Judge Dredd. It is natural for there to be attempts to bring more accountability when that happens.

But it shows a trend towards fearing our own security systems. That's a bigger problem than any legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    But it shows a trend towards fearing our own security systems. That's a bigger problem than any legislation.
    Expand it to systems in general (include all the systems that are “failing” ) and you explain the 49%. 49% was pulled out of my butt, and is meant to reflect the narrow majority the 51% has that we seem see regarding everything these days.

I like what you said in that quote though. Very direct.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Maryland has huge voting blocks from Baltimore and suburban DC.. there was a serious death in custody iss in Baltimore in the last year or two that the latest legislation is a result of

I live 5 exits out of Maryland and they are local news, even receive Maryland Public Television on our Virginia cable system..

Maryland is a Democratic state that loves its Republican governor...