Thread: Thinning the herd?

Thinning the herd?

.......public health experts say the pileup of unclaimed appointments in Mississippi exposes something more worrisome: the large number of people who are reluctant to get inoculated.

“It’s time to do the heavy lifting needed to overcome the hesitancy we’re encountering,” said Dr. Obie McNair, an internal medicine practitioner in Jackson, the state capital, whose office has a plentiful supply of vaccines but not enough takers.

Though access remains a problem in rural Mississippi, experts say that the state — one of the first to open eligibility to all adults three weeks ago — may be a harbinger of what much of the country will confront in the coming weeks, as increasing supplies enable most Americans who want the vaccine to easily make appointments.

The hesitancy has national implications. Experts say between 70 percent to 90 percent of all Americans must be vaccinated for the country to reach herd immunity, the point at which the virus can no longer spread through the population.

When it comes to rates of vaccination, Mississippi still has a way to go, with just a quarter of all residents having received at least one dose compared to the nationwide average of 33 percent, according to state data. Other southern states, among them Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia, have similarly low rates of vaccination.

A closer look at Mississippi’s demographics explains why hesitancy may be especially pronounced.The state reliably votes Republican, a group that remains highly skeptical of the coronavirus vaccine. Nearly half of all Republican men and 40 percent of Republicans over all have said they do not plan to get vaccinated, according to several recent surveys. Those figures have barely budged in the months since vaccines first became available. By contrast, just 4 percent of Democrats have said they will not get the vaccine.

Another factor in the state’s low vaccination rate may be Mississippi’s large Black community, which comprises 38 percent of the state’s population but accounts for 31 percent of the doses administered, according to state data. Vaccine hesitancy remains somewhat high among African-Americans, though the doubts and distrust — tied to longstanding neglect by the health care system and past government malfeasance like the notorious Tuskegee syphilis experiments — have markedly declined in recent months.

According to a survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation released last week, about 55 percent of Black adults said they had been vaccinated or planned to be soon, up 14 percentage points from February, a rate that approaches those of Hispanics, at 61 percent, and whites, at 64 percent.
    Maybe POP as in Past Old Party will serve better than GOP
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Based on what I'm reading I'm not sure I'd be worried about Mississippi I'd be looking closer to home.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I think its a bit of a stretch to assume this is universally representative. Afterall, every day more and more experts are dumbfounded. There has been pretty much nothing anyone was right about.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Screw 'em. I get tired of efforts to cajole people to do what is in their best interest. Don't want the vaccine? Fine. Let me know how that works out for you. Next in line, please step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Screw 'em. I get tired of efforts to cajole people to do what is in their best interest. Don't want the vaccine? Fine. Let me know how that works out for you. Next in line, please step forward.
    And thus my "POP" comment
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My family knows I hate shots, and will generally do ANYTHING to get out of getting one.

Except for this time. I was in line as soon as they'd allow me to get in line for the Covid vaccine. And, I felt cruddy for the next two days. Yet, it's done.

My friends, if you have not received a vaccination, please get one. Not just for yourself, but for all of us.

To those vaccinated - thank you.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The thing that first struck me in this piece is the changing demographic of the GOP. The new "typical" member of the GOP is white and less educated. They also are the ones rejecting vaccination---for questionable (at best) reason. I question if that demographic bodes well for the future of the GOP.

The other demographic in the piece is blacks--who admittedly have had some bad history as it relates to public health---but now seem to be increasingly warming to the idea of vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The thing that first struck me in this piece is the changing demographic of the GOP. The new "typical" member of the GOP is white and less educated. They also are the ones rejecting vaccination---for questionable (at best) reason. I question if that demographic bodes well for the future of the GOP.

The other demographic in the piece is blacks--who admittedly have had some bad history as it relates to public health---but now seem to be increasingly warming to the idea of vaccination.
    If by less-educated you mean no college degree then the large majority of the American electorate both Democratic and Republican are less educated. It is not a new event therefore there's nothing new about it in either party. If you meant to say the trend is that college- educated voters are trending towards the Democratic party that would be accurate.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I just got back from a high school football game with a lot of the folks you marvel at. There were 100’s of people there, and the only ones wearing a mask were the policeman and the school administration folks. Let’s call it 1%.

Anyway, I know lots of them and I got to catch up. Many of them had had COVID and with only mild symptoms. Same for most in my family. I would say that the folks with the antibodies or cold symptoms don’t have the same sense of urgency. I also know people who have died from it.

If there were a point to the whole story, it would be the nearly universal attitude of “screw covid, we’re getting on with things!” I damn near cried when the high school band performed the National Anthem.

don"

People make their own risk assessments. Can't say I agree with them a lot of the time but I'm more of a "you do you, I'll do me" now that the most vulnerable in my state are vaccinated. I would just avoid the situation you describe, Curt, but wouldn't get too excited about it happening.

People come wondering in the store most have a mask, other bitch about it and tell me they aren't coming back. Figure that most feel it's over. Maybe it is or not I got another week or so before the two weeks after the shot before I'll take that attitude. Still I'll wear a mask when in the store or going shopping.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    People come wondering in the store most have a mask, other bitch about it and tell me they aren't coming back. Figure that most feel it's over. Maybe it is or not I got another week or so before the two weeks after the shot before I'll take that attitude. Still I'll wear a mask when in the store or going shopping.
    I'm with you Fred indoors in public mask on

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I'm with you Fred indoors in public mask on
    Same here. Fully vaccinated but taking no chances.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I have been fully vaccinated since Jan 8th. I still wear the damn mask outdoors. Why because the Vaccine doesn't make you invulnerable. It decreases the risk of serious illness. Even if you get a mild case the damage still gets done in a milder form to your heart, lungs, and brain. Screw that. I am staying masked up.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    People make their own risk assessments. Can't say I agree with them a lot of the time but I'm more of a "you do you, I'll do me" now that the most vulnerable in my state are vaccinated. I would just avoid the situation you describe, Curt, but wouldn't get too excited about it happening.
    I was sharing a first-hand account of the folks in question, and my reasoning for why there is waning enthusiasm for the poke. To hear some of you guys trying to relate to the real world is eye-opening.

don"