Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chauvin Trial

Not respecting the decisions of juries gave us the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Montgomery bus boycott, Freedom Riders, the Voting Rights Act...

The end of slavery, the 14th Amendment...

Couple of things, re: the OJ trial, I had just put in a wall mount TV in the shop and I watched all that trial. I was astonished at the verdict, when I heard it I couldn't believe my ears. I firmly thought the prosecution clearly proved it's case.

Re: Chauvin, I think its interesting how perception influences our judgement. Case in point, Dave's comment about his reaction above. I believe that if that photo of Chauvin kneeling, looking at the camera with his hands apparently in his pockets were photoshoped to show his hands in yellow gloves instead of black and have him looking down instead of directly at the camera, our perception might be altered. As it is he appears nonchalant which can't help but anger anyone watching.

That said I believe he is guilty of manslaughter or some degree of murder.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I predict a manslaughter conviction and Minneapolis will burn to the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I predict a manslaughter conviction and Minneapolis will burn to the ground...
    It will be more than Minneapolis that burns.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It will be more than Minneapolis that burns.
    I'm afraid you're right
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Regarding the sanctity of jury verdicts, the numbers of innocent people who were convicted and later found innocent are legend.
    It is reasonable to assume the opposite is true as well.
    Jurors are people and as imperfect as we all are.

True, Dave. I know juries make mistakes and we have courts to correct those mistakes when possible. I am solidly against the death penalty because of those mistakes that no court can correct after an execution.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That fallibility is exactly why I cannot support a death penalty.

We might be better off dissolving it and letting like minded states form new unions.
    China would love that, Russia too but not as much as China.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    True, Dave. I know juries make mistakes and we have courts to correct those mistakes when possible. I am solidly against the death penalty because of those mistakes that no court can correct after an execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That fallibility is exactly why I cannot support a death penalty.
    I agree.. very hard to undo an execution.. I believe that life in prison is a worse punishment than death..

Additionally.. I believe that “life without parole “ should change to “life with the possibility of parole” at a pre determined point, maybe 50 years in prison or age 80..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

Didn't say it was a good idea. I just said "it may be" time. Mostly it is just an idea to ponder. Lots of ramifications in doing something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Understood. You don't fully agree with the American system of adjudicating criminal defendants. I do.
    OJ was innocent!
    I actually about a week ago saw a 30-30 film on OJ where they interviewed the jury. Most said we wanted to go home we've been sequestered 11 months. Others said there are enough black people in prison. Nobody gave a crap about justice or doing the right thing, everything boiled down to me me me me 2 or three jurors said that nothing concerning OJ was even brought up. "Our discussion and decision was based on how soon we wanted to go home. Everyone wanted to go home hence the verdict.
    Last edited by mgrist; 04-11-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    This is your mind on drugs!