Thread: The case for voter suppression

The case for voter suppression

Last night, commentator Kevin Williamson published a piece in National Review justifying voter suppression by suggesting that “the republic would be better served by having fewer—but better—voters.” Representatives, he says, “are people who act in other people’s interests,” which is different from doing what voters want.
    Ahh yes---for sure, my vote is more equal than yours
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Back to literacy tests. Voting is not your right, it seems. It is a privilege you need to show you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Back to literacy tests. Voting is not your right, it seems. It is a privilege you need to show you deserve.
    Ahhh---but be careful with that Kevin----least you exclude those poorly educated white guys---you need to hold onto the new base of the no longer GOP
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-08-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

“the republic would be better served by having fewer—but better—voters.”
    - National Review

I can see where a politician would attempt to operationalize such a concept. However, it leads one to question who would decide what a "better" voter is. If that answer includes any type of political bias - it should go down hard.

At different points in our political history, both parties have participated in voter suppression. Hopefully, those times are long gone.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I see no need for future elections. Just have the democrats and the republicans nominate their candidates and flip a coin. Heads we lose, tails we lose. The results are the same as we have when we vote and it will save a lot of time and money.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I see no need for future elections. Just have the democrats and the republicans nominate their candidates and flip a coin. Heads we lose, tails we lose. The results are the same as we have when we vote and it will save a lot of time and money.
    We had exactly that happen with a state house of delegates seat several cycles ago.. a dead tie.. the seat also decided the majority in the chamber.. coin was tossed, GOP won.. then the GOP pushed through their agenda as if they had won a landslide.. next cycle the Dems won, guess what.. Dems didn’t even talk to GOP about working together..

This way of acting must stop..

We must acknowledge that the loser still had a high percentage of the vote..

Yep you're going to get nothing more than a immoral lying reprobate either way
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

There are many good people in politics. Cynicism is understandable, given the run we've had, but I remember with great admiration the ones that looked at the job as a way to make things better for others.

Hmmmmm....
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.