Thread: Your tax dollars not at work

Your tax dollars not at work

Shouldn't we maybe spend what had been allocated before committing to spend a bazillion more bucks??

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-b...adband-blunder

Since President Biden unveiled his $2 trillion “American Jobs Plan” last week, the debate in Washington has focused on an existential — or at least definitional — question. What is infrastructure? As many observers have pointed out, the lion’s share of the plan has nothing to do with infrastructure. One exception I would argue is the $100 billion it proposes for broadband. That clears the definitional hurdle. The problem is the plan itself.

The Biden administration’s broadband plan tracks many of the ideas contained in the $94 billion “Internet for all” infrastructure bill that congressional Democrats introduced earlier this year. And that is not a good thing.

At the outset, their efforts ignore the billions upon billions of dollars that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) already has in the pipeline for expanding Internet service.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just last year, the FCC committed $9.2 billion to support the buildout of high-speed service to millions of unserved families over the next ten years. At the same time, the agency budgeted up to $11.2 billion to extend broadband to even more Americans through a second phase of that initiative. Earlier this year, the FCC stood up a new $3.2 billion program to subsidize Internet service for low-income Americans. And just last month, Congress provided the FCC with an additional $7.1 billion to support Internet connections for students. The FCC will also distribute up to $9 billion over the next ten years to bring 5G to rural America plus an additional $1.9 billion for carriers to upgrade their insecure infrastructure.

So how much of this funding has gone out the door? None. Not one penny from this $40 billion tranche has been spent.

Think about that. During the 2020 campaign, President Biden pledged a moon shot $20 billion for rural broadband. We now have double that amount waiting to be distributed. Yet Democrats are poised to pour a hundred billion dollars on top of those billions upon billions of unspent dollars.

Not saying yeah or nay but bridges and roads are falling apart. So if we spend some of that fixing those instead of a silly wall it's a gain in my opinion.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    ...bridges and roads are falling apart.
    This does appear to be occurring. And, like others, I would assume we will spend money to fix these things. If not, that's a problem.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I’m afraid that I agree with communication systems as vital infrastructure. I’m surprised it isn’t talked about more as a voting rights restriction.

Elon Musk is taking over the world right under our noses and we don’t even see it.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Anyone interested enough in the question of the value of infrastructure need only do a objective review of the Chinese economic performance over the past 40 years and the same look at India. Simply put, India did not invest in infrastructure as did the Chinese and the results are startlingly obvious.

Can we afford to be another India?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've got no problem with spending on infrastructure. I'm with Curt on the idea of including communication systems as infrastructure. I'm convinced that rural broadband is the same as rural electrification in terms of what it will mean for improving lives over the next twenty years.

I am not in favor of just spending money like water. We already have twice the money Biden said was needed for rural broadband, but none of that has been spent. Before we put another slug of money towards this effort, it might be wise to find out if we need to. Spending what is necessary is fine by me but I think we should figure out if it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've got no problem with spending on infrastructure. I'm with Curt on the idea of including communication systems as infrastructure. I'm convinced that rural broadband is the same as rural electrification in terms of what it will mean for improving lives over the next twenty years.

I am not in favor of just spending money like water. We already have twice the money Biden said was needed for rural broadband, but none of that has been spent. Before we put another slug of money towards this effort, it might be wise to find out if we need to. Spending what is necessary is fine by me but I think we should figure out if it is necessary.
    I take no issue with that position--in fact I share it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Infrastructure will be interesting in the coming wireless age.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Infrastructure will be interesting in the coming wireless age.
    Oh I agree but if they're willing to admit to those numbers just imagine what the real numbers are. There's a complete lack of transparency about what's happening on our border. The administration is lying to us. It's pure and simple.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.