Thread: Happy Easter everyone.

Happy Easter everyone.

Happy Easter to all.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Thanks Fred, the same to you and your family as well as all our "family" here
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Христос воскрес! Воістину воскрес!

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Happy Easter to all..

Does anyone know the politics behind Easter now being called resurrection day by some church’s or have I just missed it for years?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Happy Easter to all..

Does anyone know the politics behind Easter now being called resurrection day by some church’s or have I just missed it for years?
    I haven't noticed that but I'm going to take a stab at the reason. Easter is a broad "collection" of related events, the most significant of which begins with Palm Sunday and extends through Holy Week and culminated by the joyous celebration of "Easter Sunday", which is also the "Resurrection Day"---meaning the rising of Jesus Christ from the dead.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

In England, there was a pagan festival about the same time as the day that Christ's resurrection was celebrated. The festival was for the goddess Eostre. A pretty influential scribe around 700 was a guy named Bede and he referred to the pagan celebration as Eosturmonath. So, the name stuck.

In the old Germanic calendar, April is called, essentially, Easter Month.

Eosturmonath is, as the name implies, an entire month of celebration of the spring equinox. Easter is calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Hit the button too soon.

Anyhoo, Puritans got all wiggy about holidays (against them) and they REALLY did not like the holiest time of the year being named after a German goddess of the dawn, so they started calling it Resurrection Sunday. Many sects of Protestants who favor the "back to our roots" movement do also. And it separated them from those Roman types who were all a bunch of idolators anyways, in their opinion.

Lots of Protestants sects got their start as a reformation of not only Catholicism but also fellow Protestants. There is usually some period of rejectionism of something, in this case being the name of the day Christ rose from the dead.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The heretic nuns in 7th & 8th grade taught us a lot about the early marketing of Christianity.. Christmas on the solstice.. had not noticed Easter Sunday being called Resurrection Day before..

I like the tying of Easter to Resurrection Day. It feels good to me.

Personally, I think the Resurrection of Christ is the greatest occurrence ever in Earth's history.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Resurrection Day was a new one on me until I got to college. But I will admit that I was cloistered with respect to religion. We were Roman Catholics and Byzantine Catholics in my family. Our knowledge of other religions was nonexistent.

While I understand the terminology, it is a bit off-putting to me. It is, after all, an implicit judgment on my religion. A guy gets tired of everyone in this very Protestant country telling him why he's "doing it" wrong all the time. The term is a reaction against my religion and as such, kind of makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Ahhh... I get it. For, embracing one religious stance may put another religious stance down. I had not considered that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Sorta. Almost all Protestant religions define themselves in terms of how they are fixing what is wrong with Catholicism. Or at least that is a major component of their professed identity.

Resurrection Day is a term that fixes a problem with Catholic worship - Easter is named for a pagan goddess. So various sects ditch Easter and come up with a term that, in their minds, gets back to the basics of faith that those Catholics left behind with all their fripperies and idols.

After a while, it gets old.