Thread: USS Johnston found...

USS Johnston found...

21,180 feet beneath the surface...
    “The wreck of Johnston is a hallowed site,” said retired Rear Adm. Sam Cox, head of the Naval History and Heritage Command in Washington.

“It … serves as a sobering reminder for today’s Sailors: after all that’s asked of them in day-to-day service, they … may one day be asked for far more,” he said in the Navy’s announcement.
    Despite all the reading and the writing I've done about this day in history, I did not realize until reading this article that the ship's Captain, Commander Ernest E. Evans was an American Indian...To give some idea of the courage of these men as they instantly obeyed the order of their leader to turn at full speed against the enemy fleet, each one knew that the armor protecting their vessel, most of it no thicker than 1/2 inch, could not protect them from a direct hit from even the smallest enemy ship they faced...One eighteen inch shell from the JIN Yamato, a vessel which outweighed the entire Taffy 3 group, penetrated the bow of the Johnston and passed through it without exploding, hitting the water as the Johnston continued its attack...The armor was so thin it didn't even depress the detonator of the battleship's shell as it hit the destroyer...

It should always be remembered that these men who now rest at the bottom of the Philippine Sea willingly gave their lives in the defense of their country...Cmdr. Evans rightly earned our nation's highest honor when he fulfilled his own prophecy:
    “I intend to go in harm’s way,” Evans had said when the Johnston was commissioned in 1943. “Anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now.”
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The Post has had enough of me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"Evans and 185 members of the crew were lost, and he would become the first Native American in the Navy to receive the Medal of Honor."
    - Retropolis

Evans was half Cherokee and one quarter Creek. His friends called him "Big Chief." And, his body was not recovered.
    - Wikipedia

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead