Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The shame deepens

The shame deepens

I pray for more corporate involvement in taking moral positions when our politicians act without morality

The efforts of Republican state legislators in 43 states to suppress voting have made the rubber of Republicans politics meet the road of reality.
    Republicans are pushing the idea that it is imperative to pass laws to protect the sanctity of the vote because their supporters are concerned that the 2020 election was stolen. But, as observers have pointed out, if they want to reassure their voters that the election was clean, the way to do it would be to tell them the truth: the election wasn’t stolen.
    This reality has been established by Christopher Krebs, the former director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency in the United States Department of Homeland Security whom Trump fired after he said the 2020 election was “the most secure in American history”; by former president Trump’s attorney general William Barr, who said that the Justice Department had found no evidence of widespread voter fraud that would have changed the outcome of the election; and by judges who dismissed more than 50 lawsuits alleging voter fraud.
    Last week, Trump lawyer Sidney Powell claimed in a court filing that “no reasonable person” would believe that her lies about election fraud “were truly statements of fact.”
    And yet, rather than admitting that Democrats Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election fairly, Republicans are claiming that they must relieve supporters’ concerns about the stolen election—a myth they, themselves, have created—by passing legislation that will suppress Democratic votes.
    There seem to be a couple of things at stake here.
    One is that, having riled up Trump supporters by telling them that the election was stolen, Republican leaders can’t very well now back down and admit that they were lying. So they are playing this charade out in the hopes that they can keep Trump supporters energized enough to keep showing up at the polls and to keep voting Republican.
    The other, of course, is that Democratic wins, especially in Georgia, indicate that the Republicans must either change their political positions or get rid of Democratic voters. Since the one seems impossible to them, they are going for the other.
    But the political imperative to get rid of Democratic voters is running headlong into modern America. Not only is 2021 more openly multicultural than the 1890s, when the previous avalanche of voter suppression kept poor people of all races and ethnicities from the polls, but also the people who approve of racial equality have way more economic power than they did a century or more ago.
    Yesterday, more than 70 Black executives wrote a letter urging companies to fight the voter suppression measures under consideration in 43 states. “There is no middle ground here,” said Ken Chenault, the former head of American Express. “You either are for more people voting, or you want to suppress the vote.”
    After complaints that companies had been quiet about the Georgia voter suppression bill, the chief executive officer of Delta Airlines, Ed Bastian, issued a statement calling the new law “unacceptable” and noting that “[t]he entire rationale for this bill was based on a lie: that there was widespread voter fraud in Georgia in the 2020 elections. This is simply not true. Unfortunately, that excuse is being used in states across the nation that are attempting to pass similar legislation to restrict voting rights.” Bastian condemned the “sweeping voting reform act that could make it harder for many Georgians, particularly those in our Black and Brown communities, to exercise their right to vote.” He pledged “to protect and facilitate your precious right to vote.”
    Shortly afterward, the leader of Coca-Cola, James Quincey, followed suit with an interview on CNBC that called the law “unacceptable.”
    After Bastian spoke, Georgia Republicans said they were caught off guard by his opposition. In the Georgia House, Republicans voted to get rid of a tax break on jet fuel that benefits Delta. David Ralston, the leader of the Republican Party in the House said: “They like our public policy when we’re doing things that benefit them,” then added: “You don’t feed a dog that bites your hand. You got to keep that in mind sometimes.”
    That is, Republican lawmakers made it clear they are not legislating in the interest of the public good, but are instead using the law to retaliate against Delta after its chief executive officer criticized their voter suppression law. (The Georgia Senate did not take up the bill before the legislature adjourned.)
    Similarly, Ralston told reporters he was now a Pepsi drinker, seemingly retaliating against Coca-Cola for its own opposition to the law.
    A similar scene played out in Texas, where legislators are considering an even more restrictive bill that tries to end drive-through voting and 24-hour polling places, as well as giving partisan poll watchers more leeway to harass voters, including by recording them on video. Today, American Airlines announced it was “strongly opposed to this bill and others like it.” The company affirmed its support for democracy and called for making it easier, not harder, to vote. “Voting is the hallmark of our democracy, and is the foundation of our great country. We value the democratic process and believe every eligible American should be allowed to exercise their right to vote, no matter which political party or candidate they support.”
    Tonight, the chair of the Dallas County Republican Party, Rodney Anderson, retweeted a statement cheering on the Georgia House for trying to strip Delta of the multimillion dollar tax break for criticizing the state’s voting bill. Then he suggested retaliating against companies that oppose Texas’s proposed voting restrictions by increasing their tax burdens. Within an hour, he had deleted the tweet.
    In the late nineteenth century, southern lawmakers’ calculation that business would support voter suppression efforts would have been accurate. Indeed, southern lawmakers could suppress Black voting in part because business leaders across the country were happy to see poor voters cut out of political power, especially after the alliance movement suggested that farmers and workers might make common cause across race lines to change laws that privileged industry over ordinary Americans. When fourteen southern lawmakers defended their region’s suppression of Black voting in an 1890 book, they dedicated the work to “the businessmen of the North.”
    The reaction of today’s business leaders to new voter suppression measures suggests that the old equation in which businessmen want to get rid of Black and poor voters is no longer so clear. While businesses undoubtedly like preferential treatment, they now answer to a broader constituency than they did a century or more ago, and that constituency does not necessarily support voter suppression. Today, Brad Smith, president of Microsoft, which is developing a hub in Atlanta, took a stand against the new Georgia election law. He wrote: “We hope that companies will come together and make clear that a healthy business requires a healthy community. And a healthy community requires that everyone have the right to vote conveniently, safely, and securely.”
    In 1890, southern white leaders promised the North that voter suppression would make the South bloom. They were wrong: by concentrating wealth and power among a few white leaders, it kept the South mired in poverty for at least two generations. Rejecting voter suppression this time around could write an entirely different story
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Major League Baseball just announced they will be moving the All-Star game.

Maybe this will end up like the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in Indiana that Pence had to backtrack on due to the non-zealot world taking their money elsewhere.

The Times just posted a listing of the major changes to the law and the effect on voting. It is difficult to see this as anything but rigging the election:

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:
    Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
    There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
    It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
    Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
    Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
    Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
    Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
    If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
    If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
    With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
    Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
    With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
    The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
    The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
    The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
    Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

My wife thinks Republicans are shooting themselves in the feet. I disagree - they're shooting themselves in the mouth.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I’m glad I don’t live in GA, so don’t have to worry about this. I keep an eye on Az and UT though.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I’m glad I don’t live in GA, so don’t have to worry about this. I keep an eye on Az and UT though.
    I'd argue that we all should be concerned about this.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner did not have that same perspective, of it not being their problem. They died standing up for others that were being kept down.

And it was the same issue back then, too - voter registration. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'd argue that we all should be concerned about this.
    I agree with Mike. States should be able to do what they want as allowed by federal law. People should be able to vote with their feet, as they are doing in many places.

don"

So Jim Crow was OK until the CRA?

More whataboutism. I care about states rights.

Of course, in order to facilitate a nationwide election mandate the bi-coastal liberals will have to do away with the fillibuster, followed by Senatorial representation.

Can’t you do-gooders leave other people alone?

don"

How is this whataboutism? It is your own argument, in an actual case. By your argument, that what states do should be ok as long as they don't violate federal law, Jim Crow was fine, right up until the federal Civil Rights Act.

Calling it whataboutism won't work. I've simply applied your own argument to an actual instance.

Oh, and that states right argument? The term was used to justify slavery, segregation, voter suppression, you name it. I don't think you want to tie yourself to that.

You sure get nitpicky when it suits you. If you don’t understand what I mean, then it’s a bridge too far for me.

don"

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I agree with Mike. States should be able to do what they want as allowed by federal law. People should be able to vote with their feet, as they are doing in many places.
    How can you claim that GA voting laws are isolated to the State of GA when clearly they impact Federal elections? Voting rights are a national issue not a States issue.

It's your own argument, Curt. What is nitpicky about applying your own argument to an actual, real life case?