Thread: Cutting the cord

Cutting the cord

Last week I bought a couple of Roku Express Plus boxes @ $30.00 apiece Today I signed up for a 14 day free trial on YouTube TV.

Hopefully we'll figure it out and I can cancel the AT&T uVerse TV and phone accounts and just keep the internet.

Its going to be a learning experience I expect but I've heard good things about YouTube TV and it has an easy recording feature

Anyone else done this yet?
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I have been using ROKU and smart TVs for several years after getting rid of Directv. Since YouTubeTV and HULU both tie you to a geographic area for local channels I have both. I use HULU at my East Texas house and YouTube TV at the Houston house. Both work very well but they do have some differences. Do a comparison on streaming services to find what will work best for you.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Try Pluto TV.. it’s Viacoms “freebie “.. lots of channels and CBS news.. free.. but commercial like OTA..

Been streaming for about six years. Antenna for local channels, Roku for streaming. Most watched channels are Pluto, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Max.

We streamed for a few years, then three years ago, we moved from the 'burbs to the outback and lost Verizon Fios, had to rely on satellite for two years. Yuck. Expensive!! But in September, fiber to the node came by and I'm back streaming.

We cut the cord about a month ago. High speed internet and you tube TV. Ruth seems happy with it and that's all that matters. I don't watch the damn thing. I quit TV over 10 years ago
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

YouTube has a lot of old movies I can watch without paying...Adblock makes it commercial free...As an entertainment backup system I have a lot of old DVD's to watch...I still pay for internet through Suddenlink......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I look forward to the day I can. When Elon can get me streaming at the cabin, I’m unplugging.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Elon is going to hook me up at the East Texas place some time soon. He took my deposit money a month or two ago.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Elon is going to hook me up at the East Texas place some time soon. He took my deposit money a month or two ago.
    Right on. You’ll have to keep me posted on how it does. What is required in terms of hardware?

don"

Visit starlink.com. You can possibly get on a waiting list. The hardware is proprietary and only available from Starlink. It will cost you about $500 when they decide to fill your order. It is supposed to be plug and play.

Our local Electric Cooperative is installing fiber optic cable as we speak. As I understand it sometime in August 1 Gigabyte per second will be available to Consumers and up to 10 GB per second will be available to commercial users. Quite an upgrade from my current 100 megabytes per second. I'm really looking forward to this.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Starlink is not a viable option for us, I checked it out months ago.

We've been streaming for about 6 years with a MS Surface 2 using the big screen TV as a monitor. Works great but only on that room's TV.

We subscribe to Netflix, Prime and, through the library, Acorn TV which have some great British and Australian movies and series. Its free but you have to renew every 7 days through your local library.

I'm just trying to get rid of the ever increasing cost of uVerse TV and the rental on all the set top boxes.

I'm cutting back, sold the Ferrari and turned the towel warmers off
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Quite an upgrade from my current 100 megabytes per second.
    Here I am, right in the heart of Silicon Valley, and the best I can get is 50 MBPS. It comes in on a copper wire phone line installed in 1968 and never upgraded.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I need satellite. I’m off the grid and out of cell range at the cabin. I used to have directv there, but it was only for the football games which I don’t pay any attention to anymore.

don"