Thread: For the carnivore in me

For the carnivore in me

As more and more of our social circle receive their vaccine shots we are able to do more socializing. Last night we had three friends over for dinner. Nothing exotic, just good eats

I made baked Russet potatoes in my Ninja airfryer---which is also a convection oven. They were excellent. the only prep work, wash, stick, and rub with EVOO and salt. The skins were delightfully crispy and the flesh perfectly yielding and moist. That was my first run, except for a piece of toast

I also made a baked cauliflower dish that had five stars in the NYT but was a disapoinment---sometimes it just doesn't work out

For the main focus---a 6 pound boneless rib roast. I prefer boned but this was on sale---and I am cheap It came from my local butcher and as always was an excellent piece of meat. Prime roast is far more about the meat itself than the cook---and this was an excellent partner for the cook. I coated it with a mixture of:

fresh rosemary chopped
    sea salt (coarse)
    fresh ground black pepper
    my own version of Emeril Lagasse's "BAM" mixture
    thyme
    garlic
    Italian seasoning

I enlist my wife for such products. She pours on EVVO while I rub and then adds the dry mixture as I pack it in place---that beats trying to do it myself.

Roasted for 25 min at 450 to brown and then down to 350 until the center was at 120F---let rest for twenty minutes while I poured the wine and life was grand

A critical component, which seldom is mentioned and I think often overlooked---let the roast come to room temperature before placing in the oven. You can verify that by inserting an instant read thermometer in the center. From frig to room temp for that size roast---at least six hours---and no it will NOT spoil.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thai Peanut Noodles with Pork Loin tonight... Grandkids are in town and they demand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...a 6 pound boneless rib roast.
    I think I'm in love. But, you're married and straight. All the good men are.

Hunter
    Last edited by UTAH; 03-30-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead