Thread: What being President is like

What being President is like

At least with respect to steering an economy as large as the United States. The experience is almost exactly as described in this article.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...cmd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    At least with respect to steering an economy as large as the United States. The experience is almost exactly as described in this article.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...cmd/index.html
    I had read that article with interest and yeah, it's true, things don't happen fast on a ship that size and the comparison is apt.

When I was at the Maritime Academy I stood many watches at the helm. Our ship was one third the length of the EverGiven so I can only imagine what steering a ship that size must be like. I do remember that we learned not to watch the compass but rather pick a spot on the horizon and steer towards that. I know that sounds strange, a spot on an unbroken horizon, but it's true, you learn to do it and it works.

The same strategy should be applied in navigating the ship of state through economic waters. Pick a long term goal and steer towards that instead of attempting to sort every near term squall.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I've had to bring a boat back from big water and I've done what you say about picking a spot. It required sustained concentration, at least for me, and an active effort not to be distracted so I didn't lose my spot.

I wish we could get our politicians to do that.

And hey, good to see you back. Long time, eh?

I don't think anyone really knows what it's like to be president unless you're sitting behind the Resolute desk with the weight of the world on your shoulders. But I do get the correlation as set out in the original post
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I think it says something that, when looking at photos of our past presidents, we can really see them age right before our eyes. Now, I'm not saying it's a constant stress environment, but I think it does take some psychological stamina for them to keep up with things.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraridriver View Post
    I had read that article with interest and yeah, it's true, things don't happen fast on a ship that size and the comparison is apt.

When I was at the Maritime Academy I stood many watches at the helm. Our ship was one third the length of the EverGiven so I can only imagine what steering a ship that size must be like. I do remember that we learned not to watch the compass but rather pick a spot on the horizon and steer towards that. I know that sounds strange, a spot on an unbroken horizon, but it's true, you learn to do it and it works.

The same strategy should be applied in navigating the ship of state through economic waters. Pick a long term goal and steer towards that instead of attempting to sort every near term squall.
    Cool, good to see you back my friend
    !!
    This is your mind on drugs!