Thread: Keeping an eye on the changing tax issues

Keeping an eye on the changing tax issues

There is not enough information (or legislation) to push the panic button---yet----but it would behove everyone to be ready for some deft tax management.

There is an article in today's WSJ dealing with one area of concern for me which could alter the tax rates on assets willed to our grandchildren. While most of the rhetoric coming from the White House seems to be aimed only at the ultra rich when I dig deeper I'm not convinced of that.

One area of particular concern is how real estate will be handled. In our, case we have set aside one property to be held in trust for the grandchildren with an endowment to manage that property until the time of sale. I do not want to leave them a "leaky boat" with little net value. It is possible we will need to make some estate planning changes
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I completely agree. We are in some very challenging times regarding the potential of substantial tax increases. I have spoken with my financial planner, my tax lawyer and with my accountant. They all are monitoring the situation very closely. Looks like either way it goes I'm going to have to eat it and pay the tax man more. I'm pretty confident the Dems are going to pass something through that is unfavorable to my tax position.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.