Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Four hundred thousand

Not to be negative Kevin---but we don't have a lock on fake news
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

True. However you can pick any number of countries.

India

Death rate - 1.3%. 160,000 deaths out of a population of what, a gazillion?

Many third world countries are doing better than we are.

Unless you enjoy your head stuck in dark odoriferous places---it seems time to call this a trend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	37961  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    As of today

Uzbekistan has had 82,000 cases. 80,000 have recovered.

Only 626 Uzbeks have died. Their death rate is .7%. Ours is 1.7. We are dying at a rate more than twice that of Uzbekistan.

Responding like a third world country would have been a vast improvement.
    Perhaps this disparity might be partially due to the difference in social interaction. I suspect first worlders travel more, have more social interaction than third worlders so they are more exposed to carriers.

However I do agree with you that we failed to respond properly, I believe our administration put out economic welfare above our health welfare early on.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Good to see you Dave----please add to us more often--you are missed.

The tendency to under count cases is likely higher in countries like Uzbekistan. Poor people, rural people, people more rooted in holistic medical approaches would commonly not even visit a doctor or be tested, if they recover at home it is as if it never happened.

I also agree, we did not do well in this response.

Found out a relative, he was an ex-step Nephew, died of Covid. He was overweight and did not take care of himself. He didn't feel well, went to sleep in his recliner, and his wife found his body the next morning. R.I.P.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Good to see you Dave----please add to us more often--you are missed.
    Indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Found out a relative, he was an ex-step Nephew, died of Covid. He was overweight and did not take care of himself. He didn't feel well, went to sleep in his recliner, and his wife found his body the next morning. R.I.P.

Hunter
    Had he been previously diagnosed or was this found after his death...I ask because I'm still not clear on whether it's possible to know the COD in some reported cases, unless an autopsy was performed, and the COD determined by the coroner......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    We were told by dr. Fauci and by Speaker Pelosi that masks were not necessary for weeks.
    And for decades we built buildings packed with asbestos.. but then we saw different information so we changed ..

Maybe Fauci & Pelosi were working with incomplete information.. just doing the best that they could with the information that was available..

Bob Segar summed it up.. “ Working on mysteries without any clues “...

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

My condolences, UTAH.

God grant you and your family peace. May the perpetual light shine upon him and grant him peace as well.

Anyone in the sciences that is unable to recognize a position appears invalid and to reevaluate data and change position based on objective observations is no more than a hack.

Add my condolences to you and the family Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    And for decades we built buildings packed with asbestos.. but then we saw different information so we changed ..

Maybe Fauci & Pelosi were working with incomplete information.. just doing the best that they could with the information that was available..

Bob Segar summed it up.. “ Working on mysteries without any clues “...

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..
    That was exactly my point that's why I don't understand why we keep playing the political blame game.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Because politicians, especially Trump, made this epidemic exponentially worse, when it was clear what needed to be done - a national effort to wear masks, socially distance, avoid crowds and wash our hands. Trump was elected to lead. He failed and what's worse, made the pandemic death toll higher by actively undercutting his own scientists. He made not wearing masks a symbol of ones support for him personally. People died.

Did he do it alone? Nope. His supporters lost their minds and followed him right over that cliff.

That's why trying to deflect blame won't work. If Trump and all the idiot politicians that prostrated themselves before him had at least followed the best scientific information at the time, he and they could be forgiven. Four hundred thousand deaths that did not have to happen make that impossible. It wasn't just him but he was a part of the national insanity.

You call it the blame game. I call it evaluation. I'm fairly sure that after Biden has left office, you will not be so quick to forgive what is now happening to children at the border. And you'd be absolutely right.

Just curious, the virus is alleged to have a disparate impact on ethnic and racial minorities. Hardly the folks who listened to trump. How do the grant recipients who feed us this bullroar explain that?

And where is Billy?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

You should probably research that. A good starting place would be publications of the CDC, followed by the Journal of the American Medical Association. I have also found the National Academy of Science to be a good source when I had a question like yours.

Let us know what you find. I'd be interested.

I’ve hypothesized on the matter here before. But when I get some free time, I think I might look into the corresponding decrease in mortality rates from the other common ailments. But I wouldn’t wait for me to get around to that.

These numbers are all wrong and being reported on by people who can’t reconcile a bank account. I’ll wait for things to become a little more rational before I start yelling.

Bullroar
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.