Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filled with shame

Filled with shame

I struggle with what has just happened in Ga. and poised to happen in many more states regarding the attack on voting rights.

In Ga, it now will be a violation of "man's" law, to offer anyone waiting in line to vote, a drink of water. My mind (when it calms down) goes to Matthew 25:35-40 which says:

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.

36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
    I can't help but ask myself what Jesus thinks about this travesty (although I confess already knowing the answer).

For those who might not be offended by such a blatant violation of scripture and morality---please give me a bit of help in a secular way---help me please, to understand and gain insight into how such an act as giving someone a drink of water endangers the "sanctity" of voting

I regret that I had only one registration to give up
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I lived this movie before, when we lived in Georgia in the 1960s. It is the same as the poll tax, or literacy test, or any of a number of barriers to voting that white Southerners put in front of African American voters to keep them from the polls. It is Jim Crow and all it needs are night riders to finish the picture. A Georgia state lawmaker, GOP natch, said that he didn't think that people should vote if they don't have some basic knowledge of the issues and our system of government. Not everyone should be allowed to vote, sez he, unless they can show they deserve to.

He is outright in favor of the literacy test that we used to have in Georgia, right up until the Voting Rights Act of 1965, helpfully gutted by John Roberts, Supreme Court Chief Justice. We aren't just talking about reading ability. In case anyone has never seen a literacy test, I've included one below, from Sumter County Georgia, 1963. White people did not have to show that they could pass this test, since the Georgia state law at the time said that if you were a veteran of the Union or Confederate Army, or the descendant of one, you didn't have to take the test. Hence, the original "Grandfather Clause", for those interested in etymology.

You had to get 20 of the 28 questions correct. And just for completeness, let me say that my parents were involved in desegging schools in this time period. I personally witnessed what separate but equal meant in terms of education. It was unimaginable. You had to have been there. No one from a segregated school could have possibly passed this test.

Here is the literacy test. See how many you could answer and remember, you had to answer just exactly the way the answer key said. Precise wording, or you were disqualified, so that you could not just memorize the answers if you got your hands on a copy of the test.

SUMTER County Literacy Test
    1. What is a republican form of government? A government of, by, and for the people

2. What are the names of the 3 branches of the United states Government? Legislative, Executive and Judicial

3. What is the definition of a felony in Georgia? Any crime punishable by death or by imprisonment in the penitentiary

4. How many Congressional Districts are there in Georgia 101 and in which one do you live? 3rd

5. What is the term of a United states Senator? Six years

6. What is the term of office of a State Senator? Two years

7. What is the county seat of your county? Americus

8. How may a new state be admitted to the Union? By act of Congress

9. Who are citizens of Goorgia? All citizens of the United States who live in Georgia

10. How many votes does Georgia have in the Electoral College? Twelve

11. In what State Senatorial District do you live 14th and what are the names of the counties in such District? Terrell, Randolph, Sumter, Quitman, Stewart, Webster, Chattahoochee

12. What are the qualification of the Representatives in the Georgia House of Representatives? Citizen of the United States; 21 years of age:resident of county for one year.

13. What is the name of the State Judicial Circuit in which you live Southwestern, and what are the names of the county or counties in such Circuit? Lee, Sumter, Schley, Macon, Webster and Stewart

14. Who may grant pardons and paroles in Georgia? The state pardon and parole board

15. In what body does the Constitution of the United States declare that the legislative powers granted in such a Constitution shall be vested? Congress of the United States

16. In what Federal Court District do you live? Middle District

17. What does the Constitution of the United States provide regarding the right of citizens to vote? Right can not be abridged because of "race color or previous condition of servitude"

18. On what day and how often is the General Election held in Georgia at which members of the General Assembly of Georgia are elected. The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even numbered years

19. How may the county seat be changed under the Constitution of Goorgia? By a 2/3 vote of the people plus 2/3 of the General Assembly

20. How does the Constitution of the United States provide that it may be amended? Article V states: The Congress, whenever 2/3 of both houses shall deem it necessary to propose amendments, to this Constitution, or on the application of the legislatures of 2/3 of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which in either case shall be valid for all intents and purposes as part of this Constitution, when ratified by legislatures of 3/4 of the several states or by conventions in 3/4 thereof as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress.

21. If the Governor of Georgia dies who succeeds him and if both the Governor and the person who succeeds him dies who exercises the executive power? The Lieutenant Governor. Speaker of the House of Representatives.

22. What does the Constitution of the United States provide regarding the suspension of the privilege of the writ of Habeas Corpus? Under the United States Constitution "unless when in case of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it. What does the Georgia Constitution provide? Under the Georgia Constitution it can not be done

23. What are the qualifications for jury service in Georgia'l Name must be on the book of the County Tax Receiver, and upright, intelligent citizen.

24. What are the names of the persons who occupy the following offices in your county? 1) Clerk of the Superior Court J .T. Humber 2)0rdinary R. T. Hawkins 3) Sheriff F. Chappell

25. What are the names of the Federal District Judges of Georgia? Frank A. Hooper, William Boyd Slean, J. R. Elliot, Willian A. Bootle, Frank A. Scarlett

26. What is treason against the State of Georgia? The State Constitution states that treason against Georgia shall consist in levying war againsther, adhering to her enemies and giving them aid and comfort

27. Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia and who is the presiding judge of that Court ? Chief Justice is W.H. Duckworth, Presiding Judge is T. Grady Head

28. How many Representatives are there in the Georgia House of Representatives and how does the Constitution of Georgia provide that they be apportioned among the several counties.
    The last question was left blank, with no answer given, so that any answer could be dismissed.

This is the type of thing the Georgia legislature is hearkening back to, with stupid requirements about giving water to people in line for voting. When a Georgia legislator says that not everyone should be allowed to vote unless they can show some proficiency, this is what he is talking about.

Disgusting.

That's a heck of a test.

It's odd to me that, in this modern day age, we have the politics we have.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Things are not good and I don't have enough brain left to even start on a fix, not that anyone would listen. I do know that we the people as a whole are the ones that need to get the ball rolling, things can't go on as they are.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Sounds like a lot of anger in this thread. I read the entire bill and apparently others have not. Joe Biden has lied through his teeth about what this bill is all about. It does require voter ID. The rest of everything being flung around is left-wing propaganda.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I just realized something, Honda. You focused on voter ID laws - that is the focus of SB 67. But what Kemp signed was more than that. He signed the Election Integrity Act of 2021, which covers a lot more than the one bill.

A listing of the law's provisions, along with a link to the actual bill signed into law, can be found at https://www.onlineathens.com/story/n...ns/7038406002/

Just a shout out to my former town - Athens, Georgia. Go Dawgs!!!

Northeastern liberals ashamed of the south. When did this start?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

1861, I believe, for the same reasons as today.

The backlash has begun. Delta Airlines has come out against the law in the face of a quickly-organized boycott. The corporate spokesman reversed his statement from last week.

(Bastian) said in a statement last Friday saying that it “improved considerably during the legislative process, and expands weekend voting, codifies Sunday voting and protects a voter’s ability to cast an absentee ballot without providing a reason.”

The apparent reversal on Wednesday comes as Delta faces boycott calls over its failure to speak out about the law.

“We had some success in eliminating the most suppressive tactics that some had proposed,” Bastian said. “However, I need to make it crystal clear that the final bill is unacceptable and does not match Delta’s values.”

Bastian further said, “It’s evident that the bill includes provisions that will make it harder for many underrepresented voters, particularly Black voters, to exercise their constitutional right to elect their representatives.”
    https://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...w-unacceptable

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I am also opposed to most voting restrictions.. but.. the give someone water rule.. in Virginia it is prohibited from conducting political activity within a certain distance of a polling place.. the line to vote is part of the polling place.. so whom could give out the water? Not a party volunteer for sure.. maybe the Salvation Army?

And one needs an ID to buy beer (some stores have 100% check policy).. pick up medication, buy a gun.. I have no problem with requiring ID..

Voter ID has one purpose - to address the issue of impersonation. In other words, someone claiming to be me, voting in my name.

It almost never happens. Anywhere. The laws in this regard are solving a problem that does not exist and in doing so, are disenfranchising thousands, as evidenced in places like North Dakota, where 5000 Native Americans lost the right to vote because the voter id laws that were passed after Republicans lost the House of Representatives in 2018 required a street address be on the ID used. Native Americans tended to have only a post office box number. They had to sue in federal court to get their right to vote back.

I would think that a real conservative would require that a genuine problem be demonstrated before passing a law. I don't favor laws based on "hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if we passed a law that..."

Note also that these laws are being passed in states controlled by Republicans. Ought to tell you this is not a society issue. It is strictly a partisan issue.
    Last edited by Kevin; 03-31-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Further, it is not ID as such that is the problem. It is the requirements put on that ID being used that is causing the problem. The requirements often have the effect of disqualifying people who do not vote Republican.

Almost as if that were the plan all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    1861, I believe, for the same reasons as today.
    Way over the line buddy. Remember this post.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Just answering snark with snark, Honda. Also, you need to remember, as long as we are remembering, that I am speaking of the Georgia legislature, not you personally or Southerners generally.

Keeping various demographics powerless has a very long history in Georgia. That is what the Civil War and Jim Crow was all about. As was the sort of literacy test quoted above. If that offends, it is history. Uncomfortable history, perhaps, but history nonetheless. The Civil War was about slavery, which by definition is about keeping a segment of the population powerless.

It has gotten more dressed up but this law is all about ensuring that the disfavored population group is not allowed to have power in Georgia. Same thing as before, historically.

More backlash. Now Coke is against the law.

Coca-Cola CEO James Quincey on Wednesday called Georgia’s controversial new voting law "unacceptable," and “a step backwards.”

Quincey made the remark in an interview on CNBC. His comments come less than one week after Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) signed the bill, known as SB202, into law and as more business leaders take a public stance against the new measure.

“Let me be crystal clear and unequivocal, this legislation is unacceptable, it is a step backward and it does not promote principles that we have stood for here in Georgia, around broad access to voting, around voter convenience, about ensuring election integrity, and this is frankly just a step backwards,” Quincey said.
    https://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...w-unacceptable

I wonder if the Master's Tournament will be moved?