Thread: The Gift GOP Senator Cornyn Gave Biden

The Gift GOP Senator Cornyn Gave Biden

Here's the gift GOP Sen. John Cornyn inadvertently gave to Biden on immigration:

https://www.alternet.org/2021/03/immigration-biden/

"Cornyn evoked the Clinton era to pan the president's handling of what opportunistic Republicans and a handful of high-profile journalists have deemed a "political crisis." "Bill Clinton ran for re-election on a platform that said, 'We cannot tolerate illegal immigration and we must stop it,'" Cornyn said. He followed up with a sentiment he'll never live down. It says so much about him and his party: "President Biden has instead emphasized the humane treatment of immigrants, regardless of their legal status."

"Biden should lay that legislation out in detail, explain to the American people why immigration reform is a net plus for all despite the lies being told by the opponents of such a policy and what they are being fed by Fox News during primetime."

As we watch, Democratic lawmakers will begin taking on immigration head-on, supporting a pathway to citizenship for the undocumented. Dismantling the filibuster will solidify gains.

Normally I advocate peace and civility in politics - not today. Democrats need to be as politically merciless as Republicans in this matter - and unapologetically sweep the opposition aside.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I expect they will overplay their hand - like they always do.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Yes - that is indeed what politicians do well - which is why Politics remains my favorite sport.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Agreed, UTAH. I am a man of many opinions but this issue, along with voter supression efforts, are too foundational to who I am as a person.

I am the Dread Pirate Roberts! The Dread Pirate Roberts takes no survivors! All your worst nightmares are about to come true! The Dread Pirate Roberts is here for your *souls*!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Agreed, UTAH. I am a man of many opinions but this issue, along with voter supression efforts, are too foundational to who I am as a person.

I am the Dread Pirate Roberts! The Dread Pirate Roberts takes no survivors! All your worst nightmares are about to come true! The Dread Pirate Roberts is here for your *souls*!
    I understand why the Democrats such as yourself and others feel this way. They are scared to death what the American electorate might do in the midterms. If they do what I think is very possible I will urge them to have no mercy either.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ahhh... Princess Bride strikes again - one of my favorite movies of all time.

Hunter

Honda,

Well, first I've never been a Democrat. I've never registered as a member of any political party.

Second, I spent so long in government that I don't get too worked up about who is in and who is out. When you worked for as many administrations as I have, you develop a longer view of things. The pendulum swings.

Third, please don't discount my thoughts on these two issues as mere partisan posturing. As I've said about conservatives, many have deeply held beliefs that are guiding them. I think that same consideration should be extended to me.

My beliefs about treatment of people, immigrant legal or illegal, stem from my religious beliefs. My views on voter suppression come from living as a Northerner in a slowly desegregating south in the 1960s. Both my religion and my life experiences have formed my opinions and I can think of only a few others that are as foundational to who I am. I have lots of opinions but a very few are as close to me as these two.

It has nothing to do with something as transitory as who wins the next election. It has to do with who I am.

Fourth, as I look around, it is conservatives busily trying to keep people from voting. Judging by recent events, they are the ones most worried about the next election and are trying mighty hard to rig it in their favor.

I was always a little uncomfortable after an election when they changed to the new Presidential portrait that hangs in federal offices.

I always blamed the election cycle policy whiplash that federal employees suffer for the lack of enthusiasm that some of them put into their work. A demoralizing environment where you are right when you say “to hell with it, it’ll all change pretty soon anyway”.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.