Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The border is blowing up in Biden's face

The border is blowing up in Biden's face

I'm not going to link multiple news sources from all perspectives as to the Brewing disaster on our border and its impact on border states as well as other states where unvaccinated and undocumented immigrants are being dumped. The president needs to take bold and decisive action now to prevent a huge impending disaster.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    He is already a disaster.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

It’s easier to overlook if it isn’t in your backyard.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Gov. Greg Abbott appeared this week to rebuff help from the federal government to give coronavirus testing to migrants before they are released from federal custody, saying it’s a federal responsibility to screen immigrants coming into Texas.

The testing in Brownsville was reportedly administered by the city. NBC reported that 6.3% of the migrants tested were confirmed to have the coronavirus. That rate is smaller than the positivity rate statewide, in which an average of 8.3% of tests came back positive over the past seven days. The 108 tests over the past five weeks is a small share of the more than 3,800 confirmed cases in Cameron County reported by the state since Jan. 25.

After Abbott began upbraiding Biden for releasing the migrants, CNN reported that the Department of Homeland Security had tried to use Federal Emergency Management Agency dollars to help local officials test migrants released from federal custody and isolate them if they test positive. The grant money needed state approval to be allocated, CNN reported.
    Abbott seemed to make clear Thursday that he was not interested in the federal offer. He argued in a statement that border security is "strictly a federal responsibility," and thus the Biden administration alone should "test, screen, and quarantine" migrants who may have COVID-19.

The release of asylum seekers from custody with notices to appear has been a lightning rod issue for Republicans who incorrectly claim that most asylum seekers ignore the notices and instead try to live in the shadows unlawfully. A 2019 study from the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University, which uses Freedom of Information Act requests to track immigration court cases, found that more than 80% of all migrants show up for their court hearings, and that number increases to nearly 100% if the asylum seekers have representation.
    But Abbott said Thursday that Texas "will not aid a program that makes our country a magnet for illegal immigration."
    Source

So Abbott refuses aid and the illegal immigrants have a lower positivity rate than the rest of the state?

It gets easier to overlook when it really isn't a problem, certainly not one Abbott is interested in solving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Source

So Abbott refuses aid and the illegal immigrants have a lower positivity rate than the rest of the state?

It gets easier to overlook when it really isn't a problem, certainly not one Abbott is interested in solving.
    It's easy to try to deflect all of this on governor Abbott since he's an easy Republican Target however the problem is much larger than Abbott and even much larger than Texas which is pretty large. I find it somewhat disingenuous to lay any blame for this Brewing border crisis on any governor. This is all the new Democratic Administrations deal and they're going to have to answer for it. I'm not going to buy deflection anymore the Democrats need to own it and Biden needs to own it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I don't think of it as deflection. Biden's got a problem but he has offered assistance to begin solving that problem and has been rebuffed. At that moment, Abbott got his hands dirty.

Refusal to cooperate in solving the problem shows me that Abbott sees an election issue and solving it is not in his interest.

I'll restate the problem is larger than any governor and it's going to get worse.

I think that it needs perspective.

The illegal immigrants being released are healthier than the people already there, as shown by the positivity rate. And they are being tested at a much higher percentage of their population than Texas as a whole, so I feel fairly comfortable when I say the statewide positivity rate is probably higher. So they are certainly healthier than the rest of the population. Releasing healthier individuals into a sicker population is what is happening. This means to me that this is not something to get overly excited about. It is concerning but not overly so.

Second, Biden offered to work with Abbott to ameliorate the problem. Abbott refused. That refusal meant that Abbott was not concerned with solving a problem for Texas. He is more concerned with using this as an election issue, so I have to wonder just how big a deal this is even in Texas. Moreover, Abbott might not like the policy but if it is causing harm to his state and he refuses to do anything to make that harm less, then the Governor of Texas is either derelict in his duty or doesn't view it as a problem.

The positivity rate in NYC is about the same as these folks and NYC is loosening restrictions. How bad can this be if states are looking at positivity rates of 6% to 7% and saying "things are getting better, good enough to loosen restrictions"? But for some reason, these people are a problem where our legal population is not?

They are not being properly processed, documented and screened. Many are being loaded on buses and dumped in various places. We will agree to disagree about the crisis at the border. As much as I would like to see it work properly I have no faith in this Administration or the Democrats to do it properly. Speaking of partisanship referring to Abbott's motive you might want to think about what the Democrats motive is for this haphazard situation. Trump did not have ultimate success On the Border we can't afford any more screw-ups.

What do you see as a solution?

Convene a Mexican Central American Conference on immigration. The president of the United States should show up as a leader of the conference. Local and National issues causing massive migration should be analyzed and determination should be made as to the nature and cause. All of the countries involved should work together to make immigration legal and orderly. If that necessitates the United States having to send Aid to some of these countries to help them I'm all for that. In the long run it'll be much cheaper then having to provide tens of thousands of unskilled migrants government-provided benefits. That would be a start.

What does this have to do with Governor Abbott?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cbp...y-border-surge

Nothing, but you've changed the subject from release of COVID positive illegal immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Convene a Mexican Central American Conference on immigration. The president of the United States should show up as a leader of the conference. Local and National issues causing massive migration should be analyzed and determination should be made as to the nature and cause. All of the countries involved should work together to make immigration legal and orderly. If that necessitates the United States having to send Aid to some of these countries to help them I'm all for that. In the long run it'll be much cheaper then having to provide tens of thousands of unskilled migrants government-provided benefits. That would be a start.
    Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention providing illegal immigrants with government benefits. It is illegal to provide government benefits to adult illegal immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It is illegal to provide government benefits to adult illegal immigrants.
    And it is illegal to be in the country illegally .. What does that change?

We need a path to immigration, not an open border.