Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The border is blowing up in Biden's face

It means that the argument that we are paying out money to adult illegal immigrants is not factually correct, so to me, it isn't a problem to solve.

I don't know why allowing more immigration is equated with an open border. I'm all for orderly immigration through specified checkpoints but i believe the vast majority of people trying to get in are just like every other wave we've had and absorbed. I haven't seen any indication they are different.

Orderly entrance through checkpoints, keep out the criminals and terrorists, but I bet that means letting 90% of them in. That's not open borders. That's what we've done here for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    And it is illegal to be in the country illegally .. What does that change?

We need a path to immigration, not an open border.
    And our non-political member has a solution! Folks should listen up!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah, what's he doing with us goobers up here? Does this mean we are going to have to recruit a non-political member now?

As I've discussed before, I support immigration to the USA. My paternal Grandmother was from Mexico (Chihuahua) and three of my Nephews brought Mexican wives to the U.S. It was not an easy or frugal process - it took years and cost them thousands of dollars.

Having said the above, I think the process needs organizing and focus. To do that takes oversight and money - which are currently lacking.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention providing illegal immigrants with government benefits. It is illegal to provide government benefits to adult illegal immigrants.
    Is it illegal to provide them Healthcare?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

For adults, and through a government program, yes.

Your use of clarifiers is interesting. You're a numbers guy check out how much we spent on healthcare for migrants who came here in a process not provided for by the US code. Also many states allow government aid for what do you refer to as a illegal immigrants. Many of those programs are subsidized by the federal government. I'm surprised that you're taking such a hard stance on this.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

They can receive Medicaid for an emergency health condition according to the National Immigration Law Center but that's all I could find.

From NY's definition of what this covers:

The term "Emergency Medical Condition" is defined as a medical condition (including emergency labor and delivery) that manifests itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in:

Placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy;
    Serious impairment to bodily function; or
    Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

Care and services related to an organ transplant procedure are not included in this definition.

This definition must be met, after sudden onset of the medical condition, at the time the medical service is provided, or it will not be considered an emergency medical condition and therefore, cannot be covered by Medicaid.

Not all services that are medically necessary meet the definition of an emergency medical condition. Emergency medical conditions do not include debilitating conditions (e.g., heart disease or other medical conditions requiring rehabilitation) resulting from the initial event which later requires ongoing regimented care. The potentially fatal consequence of discontinuing Medicaid coverage care, even if such care is medically necessary, does not transform the condition into an emergency medical condition.

States are free to set their own criteria and programs. That is an issue for the voters in that state.

My use of conditionals is just me trying to be as accurate as possible. These arguments come up quite often and in my experience, there is a lot of sloppiness in discussing the issue of illegal immigration. For example, someone might claim that illegal immigrants are eligible for SNAP benefits. This is only partly true. More accurately, the children of illegal immigrants are eligible, not the adults, so I try to be accurate.

Illegal immigration is expensive and the taxpayers are footing the Bill and from what I can tell that bill is getting higher and higher everyday. The costs of the ridiculous policy of this new Democratic president is obscene.. It's not too late for him to do something constructive but he will have to be strong and Resolute to get around the left-wing extremists that he is surrounded by.

I'm ok with whatever we spend on healthcare for illegal immigrants because I believe basic health care should be a right not a service. Providing for the sick and hungry and homeless is a positive duty for my faith.

I'm for all the help, provisions, and care that legal immigrants need to assimilate into our society. This crap going on now is ridiculous.

Kallick said the debate over costs was not relevant to the necessary fiscal conversations the country is having, particularly in a country with citizens that operates on a net negative — running on a deficit.

"Fundamentally I think it’s the wrong question. The right question for undocumented immigrants and any group is, 'Are they paying their fair share of taxes and getting their fair share of service?'" Kallick said. "You’re talking about people who work for very low wages and are excluded from nearly all social services. It takes a real act of will to say they're exploiting us."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...ca-not-n950981

The accounting you seek, Honda, is fundamentally unquantifiable because of the inability to get hard data on a shadow economy. Illegal immigrants pay a lot of taxes, are not eligible for our primary tax benefits for low income families, or nearly all government services.

It really boils down to a matter of belief than anything else with respect to the question of the cost of illegal immigration. I look at it as a matter of justice and would, if I could, make every single illegal immigrants legal tomorrow. I see them as an exploited segment of our society.