Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our family is growing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That was an anomaly. It rarely gets that cold here. In fact, I can't remember it getting that cold here and I have never seen as much snow except for when I went to Colorado in June.
    I do know that your cold spat was unusual. My wife went to school in Dallas (Baylor). We actually got engaged in Dallas.

Added in edit: As I write this it is snowing here and the forecast for the middle of next week is for the temp to get into the high 50's.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-06-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Some of my neighbors the last couple of weeks. These are from my back porch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91CDBF2C-355A-4B26-8569-7C245E45C4F2.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	37925  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	905FF815-FAB2-4BB3-8D5B-C071EC49EE51.jpg 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	37926  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DB163E6-B992-4D0E-860D-7037137A8838.jpeg 
Size:	479.6 KB 
ID:	37927  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

When do your mule deer drop their antlers?

Our whitetails are about 50% dropped. I have seen, on occasion, a few hold them until the first week of April.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

They will start this month, but mostly in April. This is a hotly debated topic on hunting sites because some people say they are all off by March.* They don’t even believe their own eyes when I put up a pic. I’ve been watching them for a couple decades now, but what do I know

*This matters because out here we now have restrictions against “shed hunting” until the winter range thaws. I believe it’s a closed season here in CO until mid or end of April (as I recall). We get into the whole public lands and civil liberties bullroar over the restrictions, which we wouldn’t need if people would just leave them alone on the winter range.

don"

I get the same kind of crap around here---but what the hell do I know---I just live with em

In Pa it is illegal to pick-up sheds---I have never tried to find out the "reason" for that---it just is

Not that it matters, but by spring most have been pretty well worked over by rodents from mice to squirrels.

Sheds are big business around here. WAY better than the precious metals market. I pick them up when I find a decent one, but I like deadheads for some creepy reason. I don’t display them around the house except for a few with a backstory, just toss em in the woodshed.

Here’s a lion kill from last year. I hung it in a tree where I found it, but I finally brought it home. Something had drug it out of the tree and was making off with it until he hit the fence.

Name:	E6D6FB2A-DF28-4DE1-A19C-0DE3CBB7351E.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	37928  

don"

Incidentally our red tailed neighbor showed back up yesterday. She has had a nest in a tree next door for the last 22 years. She will have lots of trouble with the spring storms like she always does, including brutal winds and driving snowstorms. But she always seems to raise up one or maybe 2 chicks every year.

I would love to know where she goes in the winter. I need to get pictures of her this year.

don"

I am in awe of them and others of the same habits. This nest in West Virginia of Bald Eagles have been on eggs since mid Feb. I have seen them in the past buried under the snow and in fact one year the nest failed because they "lost" the eggs under the snow. Watching them through the entire "project" is amazing---what goes on there is far beyond instinct. I firmly believe they have reasoning ability.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	37929