Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our family is growing

Our family is growing

The snow is melting and there is an area of about 500 sq ft in front of the barn that is now bare grass---there are 14 deer in there having dinner---better there than in the garden eating the shrubbery
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Four feet of snow in my yard. The deer are crossing the river on the ice. They walk along the top of the ice on top of the falls and kind of dare each other with a game of follow the leader. I've seen them go across up river, follow the bank on the other side, then cross BACK to my side, for no other reason that I can tell than the sheer fun of it.

80* and sunny....

I hope your dog bites your leg.

Nurse Paula just called me a sex machine.

Her actual words were "You're a Fu*&ing tool", but I know what she meant.

Braggart
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Ah, well. I have the seasons to look forward to. There's mud season, black fly season, deer fly season, deer tick season, two months of fall then winter from November onwards until mud season again.

People in the more temperate zones don't enjoy the seasons. Such a pity.

We have 2 seasons.... 1) Really nice from Oct - June and 2) Really hot from June - Sept. I'll take it ( don't ask me in August).....

on edit: No bugs.

Going back to the deer---because of my being home this winter and the more normal snow cover I had an opportunity to observe more of the habits Kevin mentioned. In particular, the ponds got the first snow cover not long after they froze over. Snow is an insulator so the ice thickness increases at a slower rate than if it did not have the snow "blanket". The deer avoided the ponds, I'm going to guess for a month before they walked across the ice---and they obviously knew where the ice and the shore met.'The other thing that I found interesting is the establishment of trails where there would not normally be established trails. We have woods on both sides of the yard and the field below the barn. They very quickly established "tracks" from side to side and if they were off those tracks they would walk to the tract and then walk in those tracks--even if the distance was longer. This took place even when the snow was only a foot or even less.I would have expected that in very deep snow but I was a bit surprised by the adherence to these tracks when the snow cover was not all that deep.

They do that here as do the elk. The elk assemble in large herds and when they decide to move it’s common to see a string of them 1/4 mile long walking in single file.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    They do that here as do the elk. The elk assemble in large herds and when they decide to move it’s common to see a string of them 1/4 mile long walking in single file.
    I saw that in Jackson Hole one winter---truly amazing.

We are experiencing Spring here. I know 'cause the Aspens in my front yard are popping out.

Normally, I'd be planning bike trips. But, I'd rather stay married... so....

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

My pasture is beginning to green up and I need to go run the discs through the garden before the weeds take over. I have to wait a bit for it to dry, though.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My pasture is beginning to green up and I need to go run the discs through the garden before the weeds take over. I have to wait a bit for it to dry, though.
    Wow---and three weeks ago you were below zero----now that is a turn around

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Wow---and three weeks ago you were below zero----now that is a turn around
    That was an anomaly. It rarely gets that cold here. In fact, I can't remember it getting that cold here and I have never seen as much snow except for when I went to Colorado in June.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke