Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delaying tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Time to look into Belize again.

Do it.. I have a friend that use to own a t-shirt and dive shop on Ambergris Caye and it's beautiful down there, I use to go visit her a couple times a year. The mood is calm and the people mellow.... No uptight political bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The mood is calm and the people mellow.... No uptight political bull.
    Paradise...I guess my Texas CHL is good down there, huh?...Maybe I could open a beachfront gun store......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...I guess my Texas CHL is good down there, huh?...
    Or maybe not......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    There are some who want to tap the brakes. But what does that have to do with you getting your way.
    Me getting my way? I don't think I've expressed support or opposition to this bill.

If Johnson were somehow affected by this act, I'd be OK with it. He is not. Others will bear the burden, from the clerks to the people in food lines. The man who pronounces death should wield the sword as Ned Stark says. Personal involvement in the consequences of one's decisions - it keeps you honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Paradise...I guess my Texas CHL is good down there, huh?...Maybe I could open a beachfront gun store......Ben
    In Paradise you don't need a gun....

You always need a gun. In paradise maybe not for self defense, but just for fun target shooting and hunting.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Every ones idea of Paradise is a bit different.

Back to the "show" in Washington:

The intense opposition to this measure from Republican lawmakers illustrates a gulf between them and ordinary Americans, including their own voters. The American Rescue Plan is wildly popular. A poll from Morning Consult says that a whopping 77% of Americans support the bill, including 59% of Republicans, making it one of the most popular pieces of major legislation in American history. But Republican lawmakers oppose it, seeming to recognize that it is a return to an idea they utterly reject: that the government has a role to play in regulating business, providing a basic social safety net, and promoting infrastructure.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What does "need" have to do with it?...Does Belize have ballpoint pens and credit cards?...If so, why would they be "needed" in paradise?......Ben

Ben, that is an argument I just don't buy anymore. It equates a convenience with something designed to inflict bodily damage. It is not a valid analogy.

When people start killing each other with credit cards at the rate of 20,000 per year, then your analogy is at least debatable.

Dave, what I wonder is whether Republicans see any downside in opposing this.

It really is a sea change for Republicans in another way. In the past, people got elected by inclusion of groups. Now, for Republicans, it is all about energizing the base, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Dave, what I wonder is whether Republicans see any downside in opposing this.

It really is a sea change for Republicans in another way. In the past, people got elected by inclusion of groups. Now, for Republicans, it is all about energizing the base, period.
    I have to confess Kevin---I am at a loss to understand what the republicans might be thinking---or even if they are thinking
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Ben, that is an argument I just don't buy anymore. It equates a convenience with something designed to inflict bodily damage. It is not a valid analogy.

When people start killing each other with credit cards at the rate of 20,000 per year, then your analogy is at least debatable.
    Design? I don't buy into that one, Kevin, since I wasn't privy to the firearm originator's thoughts as he worked on his invention...I've never seen the same thoughts directed at the developer of the sharpened stick, nor the dagmar bumper guards on the 1952 Buick, and yet both have been used purposely to inflict bodily harm...

To expand your analogy with credit cards, I'm pretty sure the occurrence of activity involving a criminal nature is statistically higher with credit cards than it is with guns...Why then is the outcry not louder to disembowel Visa and Amex than it is for Colt and S&W?...My apologies to the thread's originator for getting so far off track...Oh wait, that was you...I'll shut up now......Ben

You are talking to the already convinced with that line of thought. No one is going to sign onto the idea that guns were invented as a personal grooming device. A lead pellet shot at force from a tube is designed to inflict damage.

Dagmar's and sharpened sticks? Nonsense. Show me where they are being used to intentionally kill 20,000 people a year. Ditto the argument about credit cards. Nobody is killing with sharpened credit cards.

Stick to the rights argument, it makes more sense.

For example,

It is my right to be armed, as stated in the Second Amendment. Fellow citizens might not value this right as highly as I do but that is a matter of personal discernment and just as I don't seek to curtail their quiet enjoyment of rights they value, no one should curtail mine.