Thread: A new weather warning---at least for me

A new weather warning---at least for me

LOW WATER

I had never seen or heard this before. On Monday we (in NY) had very high sustained winds and when I read the detail of this warning they were warning about low water in Long Island Sound and in the Bays and Coves---the wind was blowing the water out and thus the "low water". I love learning new things
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have watched it happen at a friend's beach house when a high north wind just blew the water away. It sure messed up the fishing! This was on the island near Sergeant just east of east Matagorda Bay.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I marvel at so many things in nature---many of which are counterintuitive to me. The thought of wind blowing the water out of a large sound or bay is a little difficult to wrap my mind around. I accept that it happens, but I am still struggling with the physics of it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Get a bowl of water and blow across the top. You can see how it happens on a much smaller scale.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I have problems understanding how the Moon's gravitational pull causes the tides. It just doesn't seem possible something that far away can move so much water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Get a bowl of water and blow across the top. You can see how it happens on a much smaller scale.
    I actually did that with my coffee----but I struggle with extrapolating that to something the size of Long Island sound---much less the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I marvel at so many things in nature---many of which are counterintuitive to me. The thought of wind blowing the water out of a large sound or bay is a little difficult to wrap my mind around. I accept that it happens, but I am still struggling with the physics of it
    Think of the storm surge caused by hurricanes. Same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Think of the storm surge caused by hurricanes. Same principle.
    I accept it happens and certainly high tide warnings with on shore winds is something I have heard before but this was the first for "low water". My problem is not in the believing of it but wrapping my mind around the physics of it. The physics of high tide warnings is easier for me to "compute". In that case, the water is being blown up against a "hard stop"---and it can pile up at the shore. The water required to do that doesn't have to be blown in from many miles away. In this case, the wind is blowing water out of the sound which is more than 120 miles long---think about the huge volume of water being displaced. I need to stretch my mind to accomplish this---again, I am not in denial, I am in a struggle to understand the physics. Keep in mind that this entire force is accomplished by the coefficient of friction at the interface of the wind and the water---two liquids!

Wait till the wind turbines alter the global wind currents in our “closed system”.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Wait till the wind turbines alter the global wind currents in our “closed system”.
    Will that be before or after the birds are chopped into fodder?
    This is your mind on drugs!

I’m afraid my windows probably kill more birds than a turbine. And what the windows don’t get, the crats do.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.