Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing a mask

Wearing a mask

The fires have cooled on this subject and the consensus seems to be that mask wearing is a useful thing to prevent spread of the coronavirus. A good one can help keep you from being infected as well.

So what do you think was the reason for Trump's intransigence on this subject? Why did it become, for him and his supporters, such a big deal? Everyone got caught in the the "Orange Man bad" or "Trump is Wonderful" but apart from all that, why specifically do you think Trump got so invested in the issue?

My own thought is that 1) He saw this as a way to keep the base together, something crucial to being re-elected and 2) Trump can never ever ever admit being wrong.

It really is too bad. Fauci was on the other day saying that resistance to masks cost us a lot of lives. And I suspect that the next time we have a pandemic, these terrible lockdowns won't be necessary if people will mask up.

But as Merlin says, "it is the doom of man that he forgets".

Yeah, just got back from a local errand and was wearing a mask to do so. Fauci said to do it - which is good enough for me. It's really a small price to pay for ensuring our society gets through this pandemic.

Having said the above, I still realize that ANY rule can be deemed a restriction. There's always somebody willing to do it. But, I'm not going to force them - not my interest or my job to do so.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have no issue with wearing a mask.. I expect to being do so for a long time.

Wearing a mask doesn't bother me. What bothers me is walking halfway to the store and remembering I left the mask in the truck. Gotta walk back and get it.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I now wear one more willingly than I used to......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I believe Fauchi also said you didn’t need to wear a mask. I wear one but don’t like it. It’s hard to look cool in one.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I believe Fauchi also said you didn’t need to wear a mask. I wear one but don’t like it. It’s hard to look cool in one.
    And we were told that asbestos was a wonder material.. and that smoking aided digestion..

Things change..

Governor Hogan of Maryland has a public service announcement that he ends with "wear the damn mask".. wowzers did that get some attention..

What drove trump to his position is behind us.

I have made the decision that I will continue to wear a mask even, if possibly, I don't need one. First, as a "statement" to my associates when I return to the office Monday. I would be hard pressed to mention anyone's "bad manners" if I were unmasked. Secondly, it would be an invitation to be confronted by the vigilant while out in public. I will carry my vaccination record with me but have no intention of needing to present it to anyone.

I believe in individualism but not in this case
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

As a historian, I'm perhaps MOST interested in what is behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    As a historian, I'm perhaps MOST interested in what is behind us.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	georgesantayana1-2x.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	37911
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Wearing a mask doesn't bother me. What bothers me is walking halfway to the store and remembering I left the mask in the truck. Gotta walk back and get it.
    I keep one in my pocket so the long walk back isn't necessary.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I have cloth ones with a filter that in addition to the ear loops have a neck loop. So when i don't need it I just let it hang around my neck. Kind of hard to forget it that way
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Speaking of masks, my kind of gal....

https://youtu.be/72ejVth8CKU
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I have cloth ones with a filter that in addition to the ear loops have a neck loop. So when i don't need it I just let it hang around my neck. Kind of hard to forget it that way
    Ditto
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BWBQ3T3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Speaking of masks, my kind of gal....

https://youtu.be/72ejVth8CKU
    ...as she was thinking to herself----"I don't remember buying fish"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis