Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Well, it is good to see someone sticking up for mean-spirited ugliness! Surely, a cause whose time has come, based on my observations of the last few years.

Language changes, CC. You are talking biology. That is "sex". "Gender" is different concept. "Gender" used to be a synonym for "sex" but that changed. Languages do that. That's why Shakespeare's plays often have footnotes to explain wording.

After all, being "intoxicated" used to mean "to be shot with a poisoned arrow", after the word "toxikon", an arrow poison used by the Spartans. Now, it means to be drunk. Times change and language changes to express new ideas. So it goes.
    Silly word games.

The original meaning of “gender” was to describe whether you were a biological male or female.

Since then enlightened society has added fifty something cutsie descriptors around sexual orientation. More word games.

If you choose to jump offa bridge as some demographics are want to do, your dna will say you are a male or female. Are we able yet to determine sexual orientation? I’m asking because I obviously don’t keep up with woke society.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You can graft an orange bud to a lemon tree and it's still a lemon tree. With enough grafting and growth you can chop off all of the lemon producing parts and have something that looks like an orange tree. But, it's still a lemon tree under all the camouflage.

I don't much care how someone identifies themselves. I just don't see the need to have additional laws to cover special interest groups, we already have laws that cover everyone.
    Did you see that we may soon be able to identify as “x” (other) on our US passports? Do you suppose the State Department will have to issue a special warning to “x’s” not to travel to say Iran or Afghanistan? Or Georgia.

don"

And on topic, no it wasn’t cool.

don"

Language changes, CC. That's why the Italians don't speak Latin anymore. And why no one could understand Chaucer if he were to be magically reborn into our time.

"Sex" and "gender" separated in meaning about forty years ago. Back when we recognized there can be a difference between one's biological sex and one's expression of sexuality.

In the end, I suppose your issue is not with me but those pesky lexicographers. I can't find one that insists on the previous interchangeability of the two words.

But I suppose insisting on "the way things used to be" is the definition of being conservative, so no harm no foul.

At least we can agree that Greene's action was not cool.

don"

Pretty complex issue. What is the PC angle? Rand Paul getting heat for his questioning?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Pretty complex issue. What is the PC angle? Rand Paul getting heat for his questioning?
    What is complex about it? Girls can't compete against boys in sports. It is very simple and for schools to have them competing head to head is just plain wrong.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

His questioning was about adolescents choosing things such as surgery and hormone blockers, I thought?

Just for the record, I'm not convinced that transgender orientation is NOT just a psychological problem. What, if anything, to do about it is a whole 'nother issue. I have to reserve judgment, though, since homosexuality was at one time considered a psychological disorder and treatable as such. I also have to note whatever it is, it represents a vanishingly small number of people.