Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not cool

Not cool

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is facing sharp criticism after she posted an anti-transgender sign outside of her office, directly across the hall from another lawmaker who has a transgender child.

The antagonizing move by Greene comes as the House is expected to pass the Equality Act, a bill that would ban discrimination against LGTBQ Americans, later Thursday, after the Georgia Republican's attempt to block the act failed on Wednesday. It also follows a string of incendiary statements and actions by the freshman Georgia congresswoman, who was removed from her committee assignments earlier this month after violent past comments were unearthed.

Illinois Rep. Marie Newman, whose daughter is transgender, posted a video on Twitter of her hanging the pink and blue transgender pride flag outside her office Wednesday afternoon, captioning that Greene tried to block the act "because she believes prohibiting discrimination against trans Americans is 'disgusting, immoral, and evil,'" adding, "thought we'd put up our Transgender flag so she can look at it every time she opens her door" with winking and transgender flag emojis.

That evening, Greene retweeted Newman's post and added a video of her hanging a sign that reads "There are TWO genders: MALE & FEMALE ...Trust The Science!"
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/polit...ign/index.html

Congressional service as an opportunity to antagonize others. Oh, well. The job is as big or as small as the person.

Sounds as if they deserve each other
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I would hope our legislators, no matter their party affiliation, would be open to accepting others not like them. For, they represent all Americans.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Your comment makes me think about Rand Paul's grand display of ignorance today.
    Helps me to understand his neighbor!

The thing that got me in this was just how nasty Greene's reaction was. It was reactionary. She even mocked Newman's hand gestures when putting up her flag. But really, it was the mean-spirited nature of Greene's action that got me. So unnecessary, even if she doesn't support LBGTQ rights, you'd think out of basic human decency she'd refrain from being an asshat to Newman since Newman's child is trans. Just mean.

There are only two genders. Why is that so hard for everyone to come to terms with?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Two sexes. Multiple genders.

gender: either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female. (emphasis added is my own)

And multiple orientations.

Besides, what I'm talking about is being mean, not whether one's definition of gender is inclusive or not. What Greene did was ugly.

Bullroar. Xx or xy. Period. There is place for mean people in the world.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Well, it is good to see someone sticking up for mean-spirited ugliness! Surely, a cause whose time has come, based on my observations of the last few years.

Language changes, CC. You are talking biology. That is "sex". "Gender" is different concept. "Gender" used to be a synonym for "sex" but that changed. Languages do that. That's why Shakespeare's plays often have footnotes to explain wording.

After all, being "intoxicated" used to mean "to be shot with a poisoned arrow", after the word "toxikon", an arrow poison used by the Spartans. Now, it means to be drunk. Times change and language changes to express new ideas. So it goes.

You are what your genes say you are. If you want to masquerade as something else, it is just that, a masquerade.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Biology as destiny? People used to think that women were biologically unfit to be trusted with a vote. Homosexuality was once considered a treatable, mental disease. Even in physics, at one point in the 1800s, scientists were convinced that they knew all there was to know about light, that the book was closed. Light is a wave. Then we find out that light is has properties of a particle. Now, we find out that expressions of sexuality, apart from biology, is a partly nature, partly nurture. Times change and understanding grows.

Moreover, though, apart from what you personally believe as someone's "masquerade", the question remains of Greene's act of mean-spirited ugliness.

BTW, the idea that your sexual expression (or "gender") needs to match your genetic expression has led to such things as conversion therapy and an awful lot of damage to people. Biology is not destiny.
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-26-2021 at 10:24 AM.

You can graft an orange bud to a lemon tree and it's still a lemon tree. With enough grafting and growth you can chop off all of the lemon producing parts and have something that looks like an orange tree. But, it's still a lemon tree under all the camouflage.

I don't much care how someone identifies themselves. I just don't see the need to have additional laws to cover special interest groups, we already have laws that cover everyone.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Ah, but suppose that lemon tree grew up just wanting to be in the orange grove, enjoying a different citrus experience? LOL!! Fair enough.

I will disagree on the laws, though. People still face discrimination specifically because of their sexual orientation, such as being evicted from housing or employment. The Supremes have said that if they are not specifically protected, they are not protected. So there is still a problem.

Back to the original post. I think most of the problems people of different persuasions experience is when they flaunt their differences and rub others noses in it. That's what happened when Newman hung her flag and Greene foolishly responded. Don't ask don't tell seems like a good policy to me. Less conflict that way.

Do you really think that what motivated Newman was a desire to rub people's noses in anything? I don't. That was assuredly Greene's motivation, though.

Newman was just showing support for her daughter and a cause that she sees as a human rights issue. Greene's response was all about FU, which is on brand for her.