Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adam-12

Once I was on-duty, I was issued my predecessor's weapon, an aged and worn .38 5-shot revolver. Qualifying with it was a challenge due to those old-style speed loaders we had at the time. I switched over to an auto 9mm first chance I had. It sure made qualifications easy.

Now, of course, Utah has a law that allows citizens to carry without a permit. I think that means I'll need to look into our carry requirements again to make sure wifey and I are O.K.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

When I was first sworn in 1981 revolvers ruled. Semi-autos were a rarity. Never had an issued weapon, the department did not and still does not issue weapons. I was always glad about that, I didn't want to be told what weapon to carry, it might not be right for me.

I started out with a Nickel plated S&W model 19 in .357 Magnum. I carried it for several years before switching to a Colt 1911 Combat Commander in .45. After that, I went to a Glock 23 in .40 that I carried to the end of my career. The additional rounds it carried seemed like a good idea, and it wasn't as heavy as the .45.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

talking to my buddy Pat. when he joined Alameda County Sheriffs in the late 60s he was issued a 44 revolver and a 12 gauge

You had a gun allowance so he chose a 1911 after a couple of years with the 44. He is in his 70s now. still a reserve and he just passed his combat course at the range last weekend.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I reminisce some days how many Colt pythons I saw in fellow officers holsters and also how many times I had a chance to buy them when some of them fell on Hard Times. If I recall right the going price was around $250 used. I wish I would have bought 10 of them. Live and learn
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Kevin, sorry we hijacked your thread talking about old police stories and guns. Something tells me you wouldn't mind at all.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not a bit. Conversations go where they go and this has been really interesting! My uncle Pat was a policeman (Irish side of the family were all cops and firemen) in Binghamton, NY. Call box key, night stick, the works. Never had to draw his gun in his entire career. Knew every drunk and would make sure they got home at night. Really sweet natured until he wasn't then he had the hardest fist you never wanted to meet.

My godfather was a cop. Old school all the way. Probably the reason I stayed out of trouble in my teens. I would sass my father, maybe, but no one sassed Jimmy Kane. There's a picture of him carrying two guys out of a bar. He had knocked both of them out and had one under each arm, taking them out for transport.

Sometimes threads morph in a really interesting way.

Back on topic, I enjoyed Adam 12 when it was aired and binge watched the entire series on Netflix with my wife.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Growing up it was Stories of the Highway Patrol, Dragnet, Adam-12 but the one that captivated me the most was Emergency. Squad 51 out of Rampart Station. It was a dream come true when I was given command of Rescue 2961 in Santa Cruz County Fire. Every time we got toned out. In my mind I could see Squad 51 and it was me..coolest 12 years of my life.
    We carried cliff rescue gear, Auto extrication gear (jaws), two full sets of med gear (one for highway one for back country rescue, wheeled stokes litter for back county carryouts). 4x4 with a detroit diesel and a warn 16,000 pound winch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000063a.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	37907
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Off topic but there was some serious talent on Emergency.

Dr Early - Bobby Troup, jazz musician, wrote the song "Route 66". Nat King Cole made it famous.

Dr Bracket - Robert Fuller, Jess on the old Laramie series, a very underrated Western.

Kevin Tighe - if you ever get a chance to see a movie called Matewan, do so. Kevin Tighe plays a menacing union buster in West Virginia in the coal mines of the 1920s. He just drips evil. David Strathairn plays the local sheriff, Sid Hatfield (yes, those Hatfields), James Earl Jones and Chris Cooper. Bloody Mingo, man. Unreal.

Dixie McCall - Booby Troup's wife in real life, once married to Jack Webb of Dragnet, and an ohmygawd lovely torch singer back in the day. She had a performance with Gary Cooper in Man of the West that was outstanding.

Great show, great actors.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Love th old Jack Web shows.. Dragnet and then produced Emergency and Adam-12..

The Julie London-Bobby Troup casting always found interesting.. Jack Web hired his exwife and her new husband.... but Julie was super cool..

Andy Griffith is a regular..

Discovered Big Bang and The Nanny in reruns, Fran Dresher is a comic genius.. Big Bang has genius writing..

Gunsmoke was a regular.. met James Arnes in the x1972.. he was speaking at a US Marshals event and I was working sound and lights.. he was a very tall, very nice guy..