Thread: Just sayin

Just sayin

lindsey runs off to Florida for a weekend of golf and sucking on what he thinks is his political tree of life while cruz dreams up yet more stories to try to cover up his supremely arrogant disregard for the disaster that has befallen a huge part of his constituency.

All of this while AOC is tweeting and doing:
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    @AOC
    4m
    We hit $3.2 MILLION in Texas relief support last night!

One of the places it’s going is the Houston Food Bank. I’m visiting Reps.
    @JacksonLeeTX18
    &
    @LaCongresista
    with volunteers to pack meals.

The bank REALLY needs helping hands.

Can you join a shift? https://houstonfoodbank.org/ways-to-give/give-time/
    Now---the thought of AOC teaming up with Jackson Lee might have the same effect on your toes as it does mine---but she isn't making it look good for the good old boys---who seem devoted to their perch "above it all".

Keep up your agront disregard and elitism boys----Bernie Sanders might be old and past his prime---but this one is young and working hard at taking over the mantle of the progressive left. It won't be long until she is in your face
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It is a good thing she is doing. I continue to think the rest of her agenda is out to lunch at the garbage dump.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Meanwhile elsewhere in Texas and out of the political limelight......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

As I continue my daily readings I am being repeatedly confronted with embarrassing accounts of those on the right---who seem devoted to self destruction:

Sixty-one percent of Americans say they are optimistic about the next four years.
    Not just Biden, but other Democrats are also working to show that our government can reflect the community values of our people. Yesterday, when Texas Senator Ted Cruz (R) was being roasted for taking his family on a vacation to Cancun when his constituents were suffering without heat, power, and supplies, former Representative Beto O’Rourke (D), who ran against Cruz in 2018 and lost, was running a phone bank to connect hundreds of thousands of older Texans with services.
    New York Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a Democrat who is often demonized by Republicans, also worked to demonstrate unity and government working for the people: she launched a fundraiser on social media and raised $2 million for the red state of Texas.
    In contrast to Democrats and Independents, who are optimistic about the future, 65% of Republicans say they are pessimistic about it, and they seem determined to stop Biden in his tracks. They seem to be planning on regaining power by stopping people from voting, thus abandoning democracy altogether.
    Republican state legislatures across the country are using the former president’s big lie to insist that they must change voting laws to stop voter fraud. The idea behind the attack on the Capitol on January 6 was that Democrats had stolen the election from the Republican incumbent. This was a lie, disproven in courts, recounts, and state legislatures, but it is now the excuse for suppressing the popular vote. This week, the Republican State Leadership Committee announced it was creating a commission to examine election laws “to restore the American people's confidence in the integrity of their free and fair elections" by "making it easier to vote and harder to cheat."
    Republican state lawmakers are attacking the expanded access to voting put in place in 2020, especially mail-in voting. Although there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud in 2020, and repeated studies have shown voter fraud is vanishingly rare, 33 states are considering more than 165 bills to restrict voting, more than four times the number from last year. These bills are intended to stop mail-in voting, increase voter ID requirements, make it harder to register to vote, and expand purges of voter rolls.
    I might not agree with everyone who votes---but I cannot and will not support any effort to disenfranchise anyone. The right to vote is at the very core of our democracy and any effort to restrict that right attacks that democracy at its core
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Meanwhile elsewhere in Texas and out of the political limelight......Ben
    God bless them

From your link:
    The show of kindness this week at the H-E-B grocery store in Leander, Tex., has gone viral, a bright spot in a crushing week for Americans weathering a deadly winter storm that left people scrambling for food and clean water after mass power outages. Hennessy’s Facebook post about the episode exploded, and a Friday op-ed in the Houston Chronicle contrasted the generosity in Leander with authorities’ failures: “Why H-E-B comes through in a crisis when Texas government doesn’t,” the headline read.

What a monumental task

These are from National Geographic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	37901  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	37902  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    God bless them
    I would modify the quote to read:
    Why the governed come through in a crisis when government doesn’t
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

About 5 miles north of me...
    Judge Wayne Mack contacted the agency, followed by the Montgomery County Food Bank, asking if they could get water to those in Willis who were struggling.

Within 24 hours, the agencies and officials managed to pull together resources and arrange to serve 400 families at that location.
    Wayne is an old friend, and even if I didn't know him, deeds like this, mostly unheralded, are why I continue to support him and the Food Bank......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    About 5 miles north of me...Wayne is an old friend, and even if I didn't know him, deeds like this, mostly unheralded, are why I continue to support him and the Food Bank......Ben
    Ben, the important thing is whether they were Republican or Democrat.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Ben, the important thing is whether they were Republican or Democrat.

In Montgomery County, Texas?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I didn't want to be the one to say it......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That was my point. Being Republican immediately disqualifies them doing anything good according to the litmus test many people seem to be following.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.