Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Her heart is good

Her heart is good

Even if I don't agree with her politics.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had raised one million dollars for direct Texas relief.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...rip-to-houston

I have to agree--on both counts Kevin.

I'm not going to make the obvious comparison
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Agreed!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard from Michael Dell's Foundation. He did a matching funds campaign after hurricane Harvey in 2017. It was officially done under "One Star Foundation." I thought it was great---I got to spend some of HIS money for a change

It is sad that most of the people who are suffering through this had nothing at all to do with making the decisions that aloud it to happen
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Even if I don't agree with her politics.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had raised one million dollars for direct Texas relief.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...rip-to-houston
    You are a charitable man.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Total so far: 2 million in 24 hours.

Say what you like, she's doing the right thing. Today, at least...

Honda:

I try to see good in people, if I can. Sometimes, such as on Rush Limbaugh, I need to be reminded. Other times, I'm able to get there by myself, as with this young lady. I think she's a disaster for her district but she's doing good right now.

She is not seen as a disaster by her constituents, just look at her reelection margin.
    She is a hometown heron, she is in the news, she is working for them and they believe she cares. Their previous rep only showed up every two years to get reelected so he could leave town again.
    AOC in the eyes of someone struggling to stay alive in the Bronx is promising, something they have little of.

Chasing out Amazon was a disaster for her district, in my opinion. But, then again, I don't live there.

She IS seen as engaged and dedicated, so she's better than the room temperature mope she beat to get the seat.

Don't misunderstand my comments as being supportive of her positions---her political positions are far removed from mine. Her "logic" for pushing back on Amazon was bizarre.

However, I spend time in the Bronx and I understand her popularity. They, in a small way, can live extemporaneously through AOC, who provides them hope for "being someone".

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Remember.. we are 50 very different states and 435 diverse congressional districts United as one..

The people in her Bronx district and the people in Gohmert’s Texas district say the same thing about each other.. “how did they ever elect such a person”..

$4.7 million as of today. First time I've rooted for AOC.

Anyone following the money?

“Good intentions” seems to be the standard in a lot of places these days.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

No good deed ever goes unsuspected. Sheesh.

Houston Public Media reported that the funds raised by Ocasio-Cortez will go to the Houston Food Bank, Family Eldercare, Feeding Texas, the Bridge Homeless Recovery Center and Corazon Ministries, among others.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ef-reaches-47m

And she's in Texas helping distribute relief supplies.

And here is the above board, no skimming charity through which this is being done:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ao...10218-7pmtweet

ActBlue Charities is a registered charitable organization formed to democratize charitable giving. A copy of our latest financial report may be obtained by emailing info@actblue.com or calling (617) 517-7600. Alternatively, our report detailing our programs, a financial summary, and the percentage of contributions dedicated to our charitable purpose, along with a copy of our license, may be obtained from the following state agencies: FLORIDA (registration #CH46938) -- Division of Consumer Services 800-435-7352 www.800helpfla.com; GEORGIA (registration #CH012361) -- contact ActBlue Charities; MARYLAND (registration #29971) -- Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401; MISSISSIPPI (registration #100024326) -- Secretary of State, 888-236-6167; NEW JERSEY (registration #CH3867000) -- Attorney General, 973-504-6215, www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/charfrm.htm; NEW YORK (registration #45-25-27) -- Attorney General, Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271; NORTH CAROLINA (registration #SL009830) -- State Soliciting Licensing Branch, 888-830-4989; PENNSYLVANIA (registration #104758) -- Department of State, 800-732-0999; VIRGINIA -- Office of Consumer Affairs, PO Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23218; WASHINGTON (registration #37969) -- Secretary of State, Charities Division, Olympia, WA 98504-0422, 800-332-4483; WISCONSIN (registration #16203-800) -- contact ActBlue Charities; WEST VIRGINIA -- Secretary of State, State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305. Registration with and reporting to these agencies does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation of ActBlue Charities.
    The money doesn't go to her. It goes to a registered charity.

Good grief. Trump steals money from veterans ONE TIME and you'd think all charities are suspicious. OK, maybe two times with his Trump Foundation scam.

It’s a reasonable and prudent question these days. And it should be asked of Ted as well.

It’s not like natural disasters (or man made?) are targets or anything.

And please remember that without cynicism, hyperbole, and sarcasm I wouldn’t be able to communicate at all.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Good grief. Trump steals money from veterans ONE TIME and you'd think all charities are suspicious. OK, maybe two times with his Trump Foundation scam.
    Ah, whataboutism
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.