Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Her heart is good

Whataboutism attempts to avoid a direct answer to a difficult question by accusing the questioner of hypocrisy.

In this case, I directly answered the question by noting that the funds were being distributed via a recognized and registered charity, not by AOC herself. By definition, my answer was not whataboutism.

The section you note was sarcasm for a guy that enjoys sarcasm, showing him that I agree that he has a valid point to make by referencing cases where charitable contributions were misused. In other words, I'm trying to get along with people, maybe reach a little common ground through humor. Curt and I have different styles of communication so I'm making an attempt to fit in with him, for the harmony of the site. Seemed like a good idea. I like Curt, so I'm trying to accommodate him a bit. Guess I fell short.
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-23-2021 at 06:05 AM.

I somehow feel like a troublemaker. I’m not sure why.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I somehow feel like a troublemaker. I’m not sure why.

I don't see you as a troublemaker. There maybe a personality clash between a member, or two and that dynamic extends beyond just a couple of members. There are others that clash from time to time. But that's just part of the diversity we have. No big deal.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Part of the problem may be that some here have a long-running backstory that most of the posts are filtered through. And there are lots of them going on. I personally enjoy it but it creates misunderstandings sometimes.

I’m not accusing anyone of this except myself.

I still think politicians are attention whores - in this case AOC and my critter.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Oh, I dunno about troublemaker, exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post

I still think politicians are attention whores - in this case AOC and my critter.
    In this case I would use the term "opportunistic". I think she is getting credit for a heartfelt moment. Don't buy it. There is a motive to everything she does and for that matter what any politician does. She has already stated if the green new deal was in place this would not have happened without one explanation of why or how.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Of course the Dems concern have nothing to do with Texas being a red state by a small margin. They are just truly concerned about the folks in Texas..........................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...rm-devastation
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I hope I never turn as cynical and suspicious of my fellow man as some on this thread seem to be. I wonder about what life experiences have led to such a jaundiced view of fellow human beings and I am saddened for them.

In my religion, we offer each other the sign of peace as a gesture of caring and hope. I used to think it was hokey. The older I get, the more I see people need this in their lives, more than ever. Peace to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I hope I never turn as cynical and suspicious of my fellow man as some on this thread seem to be. I wonder about what life experiences have led to such a jaundiced view of fellow human beings and I am saddened for them.

In my religion, we offer each other the sign of peace as a gesture of caring and hope. I used to think it was hokey. The older I get, the more I see people need this in their lives, more than ever. Peace to you all.
    Cynical, now we are name calling because of our disagreement or view things differently than you. What you see as cynicism I see as real and true. I don't label you and I happen to disagree with many of your philosophical posts. I happen to think they are well thought out but wrong headed in my mind. I could label you but it would be counter productive.

Cynical: Believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

It is definitional, not name calling.

name calling: form of verbal abuse in which insulting or demeaning labels are directed at an individual or group.

You are the one that said you found what she was doing as self-serving, not me. It isn't name-calling, it is the definition of what you yourself just said.

You seem to find everything I write to be insulting. You should probably just block me and be done with it. It would make your life easier, I believe.

Cynical: Believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

It is definitional, not name calling.

name calling: form of verbal abuse in which insulting or demeaning labels are directed at an individual or group.

You are the one that said you found what she was doing as self-serving, not me. It isn't name-calling, it is the definition of what you yourself just said.

You seem to find everything I write to be insulting. You should probably just block me and be done with it. It would make your life easier, I believe.
    Ok professor. Sadly you have much to offer you just don't accept criticism or disagreement very well. I will
    leave blocking folks to the childish and weak.

You seem to find an insult in anything I say, so what would be the point of us interacting in the future?

You seem to find an insult in anything I say, so what would be the point of us interacting in the future?
    I am not insulted at all. I like and appreciate those of different views. But if you want to "cancel" me that is ok by me.

Once again, you assume facts not in evidence. I never mentioned blocking you. I suggested you block me since everything I say, you find demeaning, insulting, or condescending.

You are kind of illustrating my point, Honda. I never said anything close to what you are accusing me of. You read a LOT into whatever I say.

Be careful Kevin---he will start calling you names shortly and tell you how you are a hater and other childish trash.

Ignore him
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis