Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let 'em all in

Let 'em all in

Solution to the immigration problem - let them all in. Set up border control points but just like when my relatives came over, if you are healthy and are going to a job, let them all in.

Economies expand when the labor force increases. Goods are cheaper. We need a birth rate of 2.1 per woman to sustain our population by birth alone. Our birth rate is 1.73. Unless we want to end up like Japan with an upside down population distribution, we need influx from immigration and not the onesy twosy stuff we have now. We need new players into Medicare and Social Security.

So let everyone on the southern border in through controlled access. Secure the rest of the border areas - don't have any ideas there. Sorry. Walls are out due to symbolism and connection to the last guy.

But let 'em in and let 'er rip! Do it and we juice the economy for generations without doing ill-advised tax cuts or deficit spending.

"payers" into Medicare and SS. Stupid spell correction.

And while we are at it, amnesty for all illegals here now. Citizenship? Eventually. But amnesty for every one of them.

We are going to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ............But let 'em in and let 'er rip!..............
    Easy to say living in the boonies in New York. Move to a Southern border state and experience the reality.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

True enough, Mike. I would likely not be affected.

What do you see as problems with an influx of people, that would not be outweighed by the economic benefits?

What do you see as problems with an influx of people, that would not be outweighed by the economic benefits?
    You didn't ask me but if you did I would reply I don't have the time and energy and it would be so long nobody would read it anyway.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Well , since the majority of those coming to the boarder are walking, I would hazard a guess that they ARE NOT the wealthiest of people. That would also indicate that most of them , if they actually look for work , will be looking in the " physical labor force " rather than the white collar job market.
    My question is , where are all of those jobs going to be ?. Restrictions have destroyed many jobs such as house keeping types and waitressing types which are normally minimum wage and high turnover positions. ALSO , while I do believe that there are many more non U.S. people who speak a second or third language . Just how many of the new arrivals are english speakers and thus able to get employment ?.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Economies expand as the labor force grows. Basic law of economics.

None of my relatives spoke English when they arrived. Businesses figured it out. It isn't very hard. My Dedo was a stitcher in a shoe factory. He just needed to be shown what to do. He eventually learned enough English to become a citizen about 25 years after he arrived.

English as a prerequisite for employment is not necessary.

Kev, Do you honestly think that those who will be entering the U.S. on the Southern boarder will find the same opportunities as your relatives did ?.

My thoughts are , it is a different world now. True that most if not all of the people coming in will gravitate to enclaves where the people of their nationality are , just as they did in the 20s and 30s . Little Italy , China town etc. BUT , BIG BUT , there are already a great many people in the same boat looking for the very few jobs that are available for low wage unskilled workers. One will get ya five that over 75 % of the new arrivals will be on welfare within three months.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

What do I see as likely?

In the short run, the price of labor will fall. A sudden influx of millions of people will drive down the price of unskilled labor. Small business will benefit.

In the middle run, it will be clear to existing citizens that there is no middle class waiting for them in these low paying jobs. Trades will become the engine of middle class growth. We will start supporting educational opportunities in trades as equal in value as four year college degrees. Community colleges will offer 2 year degrees in automobile repair, hvac, etc. BOCES will become a pipeline for further study, not an endpoint.

In the long run, we will have a lot more people paying taxes, saving SS and Medicare and expanding a public health care option.

Good things happened every time a new wave of immigration hit our shores. We just need to stay being the land of opportunity by not closing our doors. We are not replacing ourselves so unless someone can figure out a way to increase the birth rate rate, we need to make peace with the fact that our options are limited. Nobody is beating on the door to Japan. They are where we are headed unless we do something radical.

Just where are this millions of people going to live ?. Tent city , on the street ?. We are just not set up for the influx that is about to happen. LEGAL immigration is a GOOD THING . Illegal immigration by thousands , if not millions of people is a recipe for disaster. I see petty theft , home break-ins and out and out street robberies /crime getting out of hand. The people will have to try to survive any way they can and the charitable organizations will not be able to handle the crowd.
    Just look at the pictures of the caravans headed this way. 80 or more percent are single males , NOT families looking to raise children in our " free " society.

Also, as to paying taxes . If wages go down , then the tax base will also go down I don't care how many people are employed , If they are not making more than minimum wage , the taxes are a non player. The greater possibility is , that they will receive back more than they pay in , IF they even file to begin with . Lots and lots of cash wages in the physical labor community.Work a day , get paid for that day . Possibly show up for work the next day but don't count on it.

It would just be more of what we've experienced for years.

More strain on already strained social services like medical care, education, welfare, housing, food etc.

Lowering the wage rate by flooding the job market thereby harming Americans who depend on those already low paying jobs.

More crime from those who won't or can't get gainful employment. Higher costs for law enforcement and incarceration.

The list could go on for many more lines, but why? You are a smart guy, you already know all this.

I am all in favor of legal immigration. But, those coming here should be at least minimally vetted. They should also demonstrate they can support themselves from the beginning even if it is through sponsors. I once considered retiring to Belize. They require documentation proving self-support without taking their jobs or welfare. I'm not going that far, but those we allow in the country should not be a burden to our country.

As for language, I don't care if they can speak English, or not. They will learn quickly and lots of folks here can speak passable Spanish.

Make an application, pass a minimal background check, and come on in! Welcome to America!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

New people coming in means jobs building places for them to live. Always has.

The price of labor goes down but the sheer number coming in makes up for that. The total taxes paid increases. Always has, with each new wave of immigration.

Your basic premise is that these people are lazy bums looking to loaf and steal. Might want to consider why you think that. Maybe some politician has been pushing your buttons because that has NOT been our experience in this country with ANY of the waves of immigration we have absorbed.

And you haven't given any answer to our basic problem - we are not replacing ourselves. Our birth rate means that unless we increase our young population, no more Social Security, no more Medicare, etc.

Wanna balance the national budget? You need more people paying in.

Our legal immigration is designed to keep people out. That was great when our birth rate was 3. It is a disaster in the making with a birth rate of 1.73.

Sorry Mike, I was replying to IV, not you.

Sorry Mike, I was replying to IV, not you.
    No problem, I figured that.......