Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let 'em all in

I am all for legal immigration according to our nation's laws. Not the edict of a President who wants to block them by executive order nor a President who wants to let them in by executive order. Congress has been given a pass on the tough decision to change our laws basically because they are spineless bastards.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I am all for legal immigration according to our nation's laws. Not the edict of a President who wants to block them by executive order nor a President who wants to let them in by executive order. Congress has been given a pass on the tough decision to change our laws basically because they are spineless bastards.
    "Profiles in Invertebrates"

Mike, I'm doing research on some of your points. It will take some time - these are good points.

Let 'em all in and then put them on a bus to up state NY.... Our immigrant pool is full in the border states.

If they can find me, they can come! I'm pretty far back in the woods.

The nice thing about roads is that they go from one point to another and meet in the middle so once across the border, legally, not having to hide, they can go anywhere there are jobs.

A quick look. Married file joint 1 child. $38000 income. $2500 tax withheld. Tax refund $4700 .

Tell me how is that helping SS or any of the benefits the Govt. gives out ?. Looks like a negative income source for the Govt. to me.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

A large portion would not even pay taxes or file a return.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    A large portion would not even pay taxes or file a return.....

Nope, they work off the books.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

They're not off the books of the government benefit payroll.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

They work off the books because they are here illegally. You guys are looking at this through the lens of illegal immigration and its effects. I'm talking about legal immigration. Big difference.

The question of criminal activity in the illegal immigrant population:

Despite its centrality to public and political discourse, we lack even basic information on fundamental questions regarding undocumented immigrants and crime. This stems largely from data constraints. Going beyond existing research, we utilize data from the Texas Department of Public Safety, which checks and records the immigration status of all arrestees throughout the state. Contrary to public perception, we observe considerably lower felony arrest rates among undocumented immigrants compared to legal immigrants and native-born US citizens and find no evidence that undocumented criminality has increased in recent years. Our findings help us understand why the most aggressive immigrant removal programs have not delivered on their crime reduction promises and are unlikely to do so in the future.
    Source

Unless they changed things since I retired, that's not something we tracked. Maybe It was internal to DPS, but they do not make the majority of arrests. Not even close.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    A quick look. Married file joint 1 child. $38000 income. $2500 tax withheld. Tax refund $4700 .

Tell me how is that helping SS or any of the benefits the Govt. gives out ?. Looks like a negative income source for the Govt. to me.
    Without your taxes in front of me, I don't know enough to answer that.

However, I can say that if you are thinking that your situation is somehow general, you are making a huge assumption. Extrapolating from one taxpayer's circumstances is simply not defendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    They work off the books because they are here illegally. You guys are looking at this through the lens of illegal immigration and its effects. I'm talking about legal immigration. Big difference.
    Let them all in is not legal immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Unless they changed things since I retired, that's not something we tracked. Maybe It was internal to DPS, but they do not make the majority of arrests. Not even close.

However, it is a data source that provides an interesting statistic and is more defendable than anecdotal evidence. At the very least, it raises questions about the idea that there is a likely large increase in crime that will accompany a large influx of immigrants.

Crime is going to increase just from the fact that more people are being added to the mix. The question is, is that increase more than could be expected based strictly on a larger population? This study at least calls that assumption into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Let them all in is not legal immigration.
    Please read my first post. I'm talking about changing the law, not just letting anyone and everyone in willy nilly. If you change the law, then they are legal by definition.