Thread: Texans Are Using Ford F-150 Hybrids to Power Their Frigid Homes

Texans Are Using Ford F-150 Hybrids to Power Their Frigid Homes

Saw a few articles like this:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...inter-weather/

As detailed on the F150gen14.com forum, a user in the lower half of Texas says they lost power for three days; while neighbors set up a conventional backup generator to keep their critical home functions rolling, this forum poster busted out their 2021 Ford F-150 Platinum PowerBoost Hybrid. Using the onboard power-supply setup—which is powered by both the batteries and the engine—as a generator, the owner ran extension cords from the pickup to their kitchen to power a few lights, a toaster oven, a space heater, and the fridge.

It sounds as though the F-150 went above and beyond the call of basic duty, also powering a 75-inch TV, a coffee maker, and a freezer for "10-12 hours per day." Keep in mind, temperatures in the area were hovering in the teens during most of this time. The Ford owner says the F-150's hybrid powertrain only chewed through a few gallons of gasoline during this period and noted how the engine would come on and turn off periodically to keep the batteries onboard juiced up. The setup proved quieter than the neighbors' traditional portable generator, according to the user, and thanks to the truck's much larger fuel tank, didn't need to be refueled at least twice per day.
    Not sure that what they were thinking about when they designed them, but if it works.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

And now, Ford is asking Texas dealers to loan out their inventory of generator equipped F-150s.

Ford asks Texas dealers to loan out F-150s with ProPower onboard generators.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This is an interesting truck. If I ever get rid of the 5th wheel I'll take a look at one.

REVIEW
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Really neat feature. I have a PTO driven generator for my tractor. I can run it for at least 24 hours on a tank. Use it a bunch in the field only once at home.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Well, I did some more research and then checked my dealer's website. They have five of that truck in stock. The price range from $78,000+ to $80,000+.

I think I'll pass.
    I can buy and install a 20KW standby generator hooked up to natural gas for less than $10,000 and I already have two 8KW portables for mobile needs. I'm going to save $68,000+.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Well, I did some more research and then checked my dealer's website. They have five of that truck in stock. The price range from $78,000+ to $80,000+.

I think I'll pass.
    I can buy and install a 20KW standby generator hooked up to natural gas for less than $10,000 and I already have two 8KW portables for mobile needs. I'm going to save $68,000+.
    You are kidding?.........
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    You are kidding?.........
    Nope