Thread: Jurasic Park Keeps Getting Closer!

Jurasic Park Keeps Getting Closer!

Scientists have cloned the first U.S. endangered species, a black-footed ferret duplicated from the genes of an animal that died over 30 years ago.

[snip]

Cloning eventually could bring back extinct species such as the passenger pigeon. For now, the technique holds promise for helping endangered species including a Mongolian wild horse that was cloned and last summer born at a Texas facility.

[snip]

....the group’s projects even include trying to bring back a woolly mammoth, a creature extinct for thousands of years.
    ARTICLE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Before bringing back the mammoth, maybe they can save the Northern White Rhino.

I've been watching that for years. It is really sad. I have a great affection for rhinos, an admittedly ugly animal, ponderous and dangerous, so near-sighted and belligerent that it will full-on charge trees thinking they are intruders. I find a lot of myself in them...

Interesting but potentially dangerous science. I think the Chinese I've been tinkering around with this for years.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm really hoping they bring the Mammoth back during my lifetime. Seeing their bones, along with hundreds of wolves, at the La Brea Tar pits as a child formed fond memories.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

If they succeed in bringing back any of the " prehistoric " critters , it will be a rough life for them. They will be put in cages for whatever time they have. What sort of a life is that for a wild animal.

Personally , after one trip the the SanDiego Zoo , I never want to see another caged / enclosed animal again. There will of course be exceptions to every statement.

The one exception would be the Chimps that have been saved from medical facilities. That is the only way they can survive .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    If they succeed in bringing back any of the " prehistoric " critters , it will be a rough life for them. They will be put in cages for whatever time they have. What sort of a life is that for a wild animal.

Personally , after one trip the the SanDiego Zoo , I never want to see another caged / enclosed animal again. There will of course be exceptions to every statement.

The one exception would be the Chimps that have been saved from medical facilities. That is the only way they can survive .
    Agreed, half the animals in the world are dieing out because man has cut down their habitats for sugar plantations, avocados, soy. palms and the list goes on. Whos going to get whats left or will we just have pet peeve weeks for congress and the house to decide.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I like to see zoos getting more attention. For, many of them (financed by cities) are going through budget cuts. Wifey and I are doing what we can to help our local Hogle Zoo.

It was good to hear the San Diego Zoo mentioned in this thread - for, that's one of my favorite zoos.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The days of being able to create another you from just your gene sequence are coming. Suppose future me will sit around pondering the good old days when you had to freeze your head if you wanted immortality?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.