Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laugh or cry

Laugh or cry

It seems like the bigger the profile of many of our elected politicians enjoy the more offensive they become.

The sometime exalted Senator Cruz (okay---at least he thinks so) picked this week to skip out of Texas and bask in the sun offered in Mexico. He has every right to do that and I believe that the trip had been planned---and of course you can't cancel such a venture---but in any event he might keep this event in mind as he freely attacks those on his left:

Even before he skipped town, Mr. Cruz’s critics were already recirculating tweets he sent last summer criticizing California for being “unable to perform even basic functions of civilization” after the state’s governor asked residents to conserve electricity during a spate of deadly wildfires. Mr. Cruz lampooned California’s “failed energy policy” as the product of liberal excess.

Mr. Cruz had been acutely aware of the possible crisis in advance. In a radio interview on Monday, he said the state could see 100 or more deaths this week. “So don’t risk it. Keep your family safe and just stay home and hug your kids,” he said.

More recently, in December, Mr. Cruz had attacked a Democrat, Mayor Stephen Adler of Austin, for taking a trip to Cabo while telling constituents to “stay home” during the pandemic.

“Hypocrites,” Mr. Cruz wrote on Twitter. “Complete and utter hypocrites.”
    Yes sir---you can say that again: “Complete and utter hypocrites.”
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm laughing but not at Cruz. Are they giving away venom for free in Pennsylvania?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

As much as I like most of what Cruz does, he certainly has a way of putting his foot in it. Frequently! Duh!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    As much as I like most of what Cruz does, he certainly has a way of putting his foot in it. Frequently! Duh!
    One of the things I am at times required to tell an associate is: "you never stand taller when you are standing on your brother's back". That position, also often suffers a reversal, as Cruz seems to now be reminded of.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

In politics, there are a few unwritten rules that every good politician adheres to. Don't compare any situation to Nazi Germany. Don't get out of step with your party base. And perhaps most importantly, when things go sideways for your constituents, don't go on vacation.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/polit...xas/index.html

Guess he's as far up the ladder as he's ever going to be.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Seen on our news: Cruz Throws own Daughters Under the Bus.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

There is nothing for Cruz to do here except get in the way. I always hate it when high ranking officials just have to show up and take a tour. All they do is tie up needed resources and slow things down. It is especially bad when the president shows up.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This is not an act of God, this is an act of politicans. He should have stayed home and shared the pain with the people who had no control and no options.

I have to add that I understand that simply showing up can cause a diversion of resources but that doesn't mean it is wasted.
    My wife was working in lower Manhattan providing counseling to the first responders when GWB showed up on the pile. She will tell you how much that meant. Obviously, he could not render any substantive help but just the fact that he cared enough to be there was meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    This is not an act of God, this is an act of politicans. He should have stayed home and shared the pain with the people who had no control and no options.
    I agree. I just think far too much is being made of it.

I agree
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

For the most part, I agree. But there is some satisfaction in seeing someone ad off-putting as Cruz hoist by his own petard.

At this point I agree. When I posted that it seemed to be an obscure piece of news, since then it seems to have become an oversized story.

You do realize the root cause of Texas problems started well before Cruz was ever in office? In fact, it was well before he was born, since it all happened in 1935. I don’t understand why he needs to be castigated because of the timing of a vacation. He isn’t the Chief Executive of the state, he doesn’t control the power company, and he really has no authority to change anything, and it would serve absolutely no purpose for him to be there. In fact, I am pretty sure that he spends the majority of his time in D.C.

But go ahead, knock the guy for something he has no control over.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    You do realize the root cause of Texas problems started well before Cruz was ever in office? In fact, it was well before he was born, since it all happened in 1935. I don’t understand why he needs to be castigated because of the timing of a vacation. He isn’t the Chief Executive of the state, he doesn’t control the power company, and he really has no authority to change anything, and it would serve absolutely no purpose for him to be there. In fact, I am pretty sure that he spends the majority of his time in D.C.

But go ahead, knock the guy for something he has no control over.
    The answer to your question is because he's a Republican and he supported Trump. Trump hate has no boundaries in fact now it is being taken out on every Republican or anybody that might think about being a Republican generally by those with a really bad case of trump derangement syndrome.