Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here Comes the Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Biden said that he was going to take what they call assault rifles away from the owners of those rifles during his campaign. Therefore, I would expect him to try to do it. Obviously this will end up in the Supreme Court at some point or the other.

Yeah, it will go the the Supreme Court, but when? After the confiscation? The damage will already be done.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I believe that is exempt from Federal Regulations by virtue of being manufactured before 1898.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's only for transfers I think. No FFL required, for the most part. Ben will know better than me.
    I know of no such ruling...But I've been out of the game for quite a while now...

If they should happen to choose 6 as their arbitrary number for magazine capacity, does that mean I'll have weld one of these charge holes shut?......Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	37891  

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

What struck me was his pledge to hold the manufacturers liable for putting weapons of war on the streets. That should scare everyone.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I know of no such ruling...But I've been out of the game for quite a while now...

If they should happen to choose 6 as their arbitrary number for magazine capacity, does that mean I'll have weld one of these charge holes shut?......Ben
    Here in NY, mags cannot be more than 10 rounds, for anything, including .22s. For double stacks that have more capacity than 10, a welded stop is in the mag to ensure it cannot ever hold more than 10. And when you are loaded up, handguns can only have 7 in the stack. I dunno how they'd check.

I did a brief search and it appears the no FFL rule applies to antique firearms manufactured prior to 1899 that do not use rim fire or center fire cartridges, or use ammunition that is no longer available. This was a brief search, do not take it for being gospel. Do your own research before buying or selling a firearm.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    What struck me was his pledge to hold the manufacturers liable for putting weapons of war on the streets. That should scare everyone.

I agree. Maybe we should make automobile manufacturers liable when a drunk driver kills someone in a crash. That makes just as much sense.

Actually, it doesn't scare me.

I'm willing to talk about what I consider reasonable restrictions. I understand your position, Mike, but after school shootings and Sandy Hook and Las Vegas, I don't believe in a "no compromises" approach. All these dead Americans are just not worth it, in my opinion.

My fear is not the messaging attempts by Democrats. My worry is that after so long locked in stasis, when the break comes (and it will come - the next generation does not have the same opinions on guns that my generation had) it will be like a fault line giving way in the earth, with damage far beyond what would have occurred if compromises along the way had been made.

And our system is built on compromise. In the end, I think a "no compromises" approach is self-defeating. It kind of takes one out of the discussion and the other 80% of the electorate will go do a deal without people unwilling to compromise. Just my take on things.

80%?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yeah, that's my SWAG of what support for stricter gun laws will need to be before the "no compromises" position is just ignored. We aren't there yet but at some point, we likely will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post

My mistake Ben

The devil is in the details:

26 U.S.C. § 5845(G)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    :
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis